Amsterdam, North Holland, Netherlands - Remote
Lighthouse Reports is an award-winning nonprofit newsroom that undertakes public interest investigations in partnership with some of the world’s leading media. Our teams work on investigations that cover migration, climate, conflict and corruption, serving multiple platforms, crossing borders, languages and formats.
Lighthouse builds teams around topics that provide editors tools, specialists and resources with the results reaching diverse publics on media relevant to them. We’re not a publisher so we channel all of our energy and resources into collaborations. We lead complex transnational investigations that blend freedom of information laws and money trails with emerging techniques like open source and data science.
Our data team supports Lighthouse and partner newsrooms to carry out data-driven investigations and enhance ongoing investigations with data while maintaining high standards of transparency and reproducibility.
As a data reporter, you will:
- Collaborate with colleagues and newsroom partners to conceive of and execute data-driven investigations including brainstorming hypotheses, contributing to reporting plans and identifying relevant partners.
- Wrangle data, including FOIA'ing for it, scraping it and cleaning it.
- Write Data Memos that help staff and partners understand the data pipeline and how to marry data and traditional investigative reporting techniques.
- Identify, plan, and execute data analyses, interpret the results, and show your work.
- Find and approach data journalism using many different types of skills and resources, including coding, public records, crowdsourcing, or geo-spatial analysis.
- Work within and help improve Lighthouse’s data workflow, processes, and systems.
- Write documented, accessible code and transparent methodologies that demonstrate how you did your data analysis.
- Work to create journalism with impact. Expose wrongdoing; equip people, communities, organisations, and regulators with the critical information they need to drive reform; strive for the goal of institutional and systemic change.
- Share your expertise, whether that’s helping colleagues improve their data skills, presenting at conferences or writing a piece that helps others learn from your experience.
- Bulletproof and spot-check data work done by other journalists on the team and in the newsroom and conduct code reviews for projects done by other data team members.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Excellent communication skills to ensure that traditional investigative journalists are able to realise the potential of data in their storytelling, including embedding in newsrooms, participating in brainstorming sessions and helping develop a workflow for data-driven stories.
- Critical thinking skills that enable you to see beyond the obvious stories to larger patterns that are hiding in the data.
- Experience working on data projects in a newsroom or experience doing statistical or data-scientific analysis, either in academia or in another research setting.
- Enthusiasm for talking to other people—like sources, experts, or colleagues—to help you better understand, audit, and analyze data and other reporting.
- A clear dedication to working collaboratively and inherent generosity around sharing credit with colleagues.
- Experience collecting hard-to-collect data, especially through web scraping.
- Experience writing code to clean and analyse data. For example, you should have a solid understanding of how to analyse data in Python, R, SQL, or a similar language, and know how to start exploring anywhere from thousands to millions of data points in a systematic way.
- The ability to communicate clearly and frequently and meet deadlines (or communicate clearly beforehand about why a deadline cannot be met).
Pluses, but not requirements:
- Experience doing geographic data analysis
- Experience turning your data analysis into accessible explainers
- Experience with web design or product design
- Experience working on cross-border investigations preferably in the Global South
- Experience working with cloud computing infrastructure such as AWS
Competitive salary in the European non profit journalism. Fully remote position with travel and training budget.
* Salary range is an estimate based on our AI, ML, Data Science Salary Index 💰
More jobs like this
Paris or Remote from … Paris or Remote from France Full TimeEntry Entry-levelUSD 120K - 196K * USD 120K+ *
Junior Analytics Engineer - Data CapabilitiesAirflow BigQuery Data management Data quality Data warehouse Engineering +5
Career development Flex hours Gear Home office stipend Parental leave +3
Thessaloniki, Central Macedonia, Greece … Thessaloniki, Central Macedonia, Greece - Remote Full TimeMid Mid-levelEUR 39K - 53K EUR 39K+
Senior Power BI Engineer (Remote, GR based)Consulting Power BI Python Qlik QlikView SQL +1
Career development Competitive pay Conferences Startup environment
Budapest, Hungary Budapest, Hungary Full TimeSenior Senior-levelUSD 149K - 230K * USD 149K+ *
WELL Health Inc.
(Remote, Hungary) Senior Machine Learning EngineerArchitecture AWS Big Data Data analysis EDA Engineering +16
Career development Flex hours Flex vacation Health care Home office stipend +3
Explore more AI, ML, Data Science career opportunities
Find even more open roles in Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML), Natural Language Processing (NLP), Computer Vision (CV), Data Engineering, Data Analytics, Big Data, and Data Science in general - ordered by popularity of job title or skills, toolset and products used - below.
- Open Data Engineering Manager jobs
- Open Data Manager jobs
- Open BI Analyst jobs
- Open Sr. Data Scientist jobs
- Open MLOps Engineer jobs
- Open Business Intelligence Analyst jobs
- Open Data Engineer II jobs
- Open Product Data Analyst jobs
- Open Big Data Engineer jobs
- Open Power BI Developer jobs
- Open Sr Data Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Manager, Data Science jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst jobs
- Open Director, Data Engineering jobs
- Open Data Analytics Engineer jobs
- Open (Senior) Digital Analytics Engineer jobs
- Open Data Engineer (Remote) jobs
- Open Senior Data Architect jobs
- Open Junior Data Engineer jobs
- Open Business Data Analyst jobs
- Open Principal Data Scientist jobs
- Open Clinical Data Manager jobs
- Open Manager, Data Engineering jobs
- Open Lead Machine Learning Engineer jobs
- Open Research Scientist jobs
- Open Excel-related jobs
- Open Data quality-related jobs
- Open Power BI-related jobs
- Open Privacy-related jobs
- Open Business Intelligence-related jobs
- Open APIs-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open Deep Learning-related jobs
- Open Finance-related jobs
- Open Data visualization-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open Airflow-related jobs
- Open TensorFlow-related jobs
- Open Data management-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open PhD-related jobs
- Open Scala-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open Hadoop-related jobs
- Open Snowflake-related jobs
- Open Data warehouse-related jobs
- Open Docker-related jobs
- Open Data governance-related jobs
- Open DevOps-related jobs