Sr. Principal Enterprise Data Architect
Upwork ($UPWK) is the world’s work marketplace. We serve everyone from one-person startups to large, Fortune 100 enterprises with a powerful, trust-driven platform that enables companies and talent to work together in new ways that unlock their potential.
Last year, more than $3.8 billion of work was done through Upwork by skilled professionals who are gaining more control by finding work they are passionate about and innovating their careers.
We are seeking a highly experienced leader to develop and guide our organization's focus on enterprise data architecture and governance. This individual contributor role will collaborate with cross-functional teams, including security, product, engineering, legal, and senior leadership, to establish and execute a comprehensive data governance framework that ensures the accuracy, security, compliance controls, and availability of our critical data assets. This position requires exceptional leadership and communication skills, along with a deep understanding of data management best practices and regulatory compliance.
The ideal candidate will also have a proven track record in architecting scalable and efficient data solutions, and possess a deep understanding of data architecture principles, data modeling, data integration, and emerging data technologies. Experience with payments systems and platforms is a strong plus.
- Define and document data governance policies, standards, procedures, and guidelines that encompass data quality, data stewardship, data ownership, data lifecycle, and data classification.
- Define and maintain data architecture standards, guidelines, and best practices.
- Oversee the identification, selection, and training of data stewards across business units to ensure data quality and accountability.
- Facilitate cross-functional collaboration among data stewards, business analysts, data scientists, IT teams, and other stakeholders.
- Incorporate data protection regulatory requirements (e.g., GDPR, CCPA) and industry standards (e.g., PCI DSS) by implementing appropriate data architecture design and governance controls.
- Work closely with the information security and privacy teams to define and enforce data security measures to protect sensitive information.
- Define key performance indicators (KPIs) to measure the success of data governance initiatives.
- Design data integration patterns to facilitate the seamless flow of data across various systems and applications.
- Serve as a subject matter expert on data architecture and governance
- Facilitate workshops and training sessions to promote data literacy and awareness across the organization.
What it Takes to Catch our Eye:
- Proven experience in data governance, data architecture, or related roles, with a track record of progressively increasing responsibilities.
- Strong understanding of enterprise data architecture and governance principles and data quality frameworks.
- Knowledge of privacy and compliance regulations, data security standards, and industry best practices in data governance.
- Experience with cloud-based data solutions (e.g., AWS, GCP) and modern data architecture patterns, and in working with data management tools and technologies.
- Experience with environments that serve a global footprint, with intragroup data flows, uses, and controls.
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills, with the ability to design creative and efficient solutions to complex challenges.
- Excellent leadership and communication skills, with the ability to collaborate effectively across functions and levels of the organization and present technical concepts to diverse audiences.
- Relevant certifications in data architecture, such as Certified Data Management Professional (CDMP) or related certifications, are a plus.
The annual base salary for this position in California and Washington ranges from $208,000 - $286,000. The range displayed reflects the minimum and maximum salary for this position in California and Washington, and individual base pay will depend on your skills, qualifications, experience, and location. Additionally, this position is eligible for the annual bonus plan or sales incentive plan and eligibility to participate in our long term equity incentive program
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We are a remote-first organization working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals. While we have physical offices in San Francisco and Chicago, currently we also support hiring of corporate full-time employees in 19 states in the United States. Please speak with a member of our recruitment team to determine whether you are located in a state in which we are hiring corporate full-time employees.
At the core of our vibrant culture are shared values that form the foundation of our organization. These values revolve around trust, risk-taking, customer focus, and excellence. Our overarching mission is to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We foster an environment where individuals are encouraged to bring their authentic selves to work, nurturing personal and professional growth through development opportunities, mentorship programs, and participation in Upwork Belonging Communities.
We take pride in providing exceptional benefits to our employees. These include comprehensive medical insurance coverage for both you and your family, unlimited paid time off, a 401(k) plan with matching contributions, 12 weeks of paid parental leave, and an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. To explore these benefits in detail, as well as gain insights into our company values, working principles, and the overall employee experience, we invite you to visit our Life at Upwork page.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
To learn more about how Upwork processes and protects your personal information as part of the application process, please review our Global Job Applicant Privacy Notice
More jobs like this
Remote - Washington, DC Remote - Washington, DC Full TimeSenior Senior-levelUSD 158K - 280K USD 158K+
Specialist Solutions Architect - Machine Learning (Public Sector)Architecture Big Data Computer Science Databricks Deep Learning Engineering +15
Career development Equity Fitness / gym Flex hours Flex vacation +6
Explore more AI, ML, Data Science career opportunities
Find even more open roles in Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML), Natural Language Processing (NLP), Computer Vision (CV), Data Engineering, Data Analytics, Big Data, and Data Science in general - ordered by popularity of job title or skills, toolset and products used - below.
- Open Data Engineering Manager jobs
- Open Data Manager jobs
- Open BI Analyst jobs
- Open Sr. Data Scientist jobs
- Open MLOps Engineer jobs
- Open Business Intelligence Analyst jobs
- Open Data Engineer II jobs
- Open Product Data Analyst jobs
- Open Big Data Engineer jobs
- Open Power BI Developer jobs
- Open Sr Data Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Manager, Data Science jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst jobs
- Open Director, Data Engineering jobs
- Open Data Analytics Engineer jobs
- Open (Senior) Digital Analytics Engineer jobs
- Open Data Engineer (Remote) jobs
- Open Senior Data Architect jobs
- Open Junior Data Engineer jobs
- Open Business Data Analyst jobs
- Open Principal Data Scientist jobs
- Open Clinical Data Manager jobs
- Open Manager, Data Engineering jobs
- Open Lead Machine Learning Engineer jobs
- Open Research Scientist jobs
- Open Excel-related jobs
- Open Data quality-related jobs
- Open Power BI-related jobs
- Open Privacy-related jobs
- Open Business Intelligence-related jobs
- Open APIs-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open Deep Learning-related jobs
- Open Finance-related jobs
- Open Data visualization-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open Airflow-related jobs
- Open TensorFlow-related jobs
- Open Data management-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open PhD-related jobs
- Open Scala-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open Hadoop-related jobs
- Open Snowflake-related jobs
- Open Data warehouse-related jobs
- Open Docker-related jobs
- Open Data governance-related jobs
- Open DevOps-related jobs