Engineering Manager, Machine Learning
Grammarly is continuing to grow our team during the COVID-19 pandemic, conducting fully remote hiring and onboarding processes. All Grammarly team members can work remotely until September 2021. Read more about how we’re supporting our team and communities.
Grammarly empowers people to thrive and connect whenever and wherever they communicate. Every day, 30 million people and 30,000 teams around the world use our AI-powered writing assistant. All of this begins with our team collaborating in a values-driven and learning-oriented environment.
To achieve our ambitious goals, we’re looking for an Engineering Manager to join our Machine Learning (ML) Engineering team in our Kyiv office. This manager will lead and grow the Kyiv ML Engineering team to build and support ML infrastructure and develop novel intelligence features with researchers and product managers. This team has an opportunity to shape the way Grammarly engineering delivers ML features across the entire product. This role will be instrumental in helping build ML-powered functionality at Grammarly, which is strategic and critical to realizing our vision of improving lives by improving communication.
To facilitate this mission, the Engineering Manager will coach, mentor, and support the team through product development and collaboration with product managers. They will also guide the team to propose and implement the best practices for scaling ML features at Grammarly across all phases of feature lifecycle, from fast iterative experimentation to productization and support. This Engineering Manager will also provide direction for project investments, prioritization, and engineering resource allocation, and coordinate with stakeholders.
Grammarly’s engineers and researchers have the freedom to innovate and uncover breakthroughs—and, in turn, influence our product roadmap. The complexity of our technical challenges is multiplying as we scale our interfaces, algorithms, and infrastructure. Read more about our stack or hear from our team on our technical blog.
As Engineering Manager, you will lead the Machine Learning Engineering team and collaborate across multiple offices with research scientists, computational linguists, and product managers to ship delightful user experiences across various interfaces. You will influence and fundamentally change the way Grammarly engineering delivers ML-powered features at Grammarly.
In this role, you will:
- Guide the team to operating services at internet scale with high availability and reliability.
- Propose and implement the best engineering and research practices for scaling ML-powered features at Grammarly, with a goal to enable fast iteration of and efficient experimentation with novel features.
- Help drive engineering-wide initiatives with other engineering leaders.
- Act as an effective manager by being a strong advocate and promoter for the team.
- Contribute to and influence the ML infrastructure roadmap based on the feedback from internal customers.
- Build the ML infrastructure and platform to accelerate and make its development accessible and efficient to all researchers and engineers at Grammarly.
- Build and enhance consumer and enterprise intelligence features in Grammatical Error Correction (GEC) and text semantics, such as tone and summarization.
We’re looking for someone who
- Embodies our EAGER values—is ethical, adaptable, gritty, empathetic, and remarkable.
- Has a strong track record of building and managing productive engineering teams.
- Derives satisfaction in helping the team accomplish audacious goals.
- Has hands-on experience as a senior engineer.
- Has experience translating a high-level strategy and roadmap into an execution plan.
- Can effectively set and communicate priorities for themselves and their team.
- Can successfully coordinate, empower, and direct multiple stakeholders, details, and timelines toward a specific goal.
- Thrives managing through the roadmap ambiguity and unique problem-solving associated with new product ideas—by balancing ownership of mission-critical systems and building features around a loosely defined roadmap.
- Stays up-to-date with the quickly evolving field of natural language processing (NLP), tracking industry trends while focusing on building production systems.
- Brings a solid understanding of ML development lifecycle and tools, including some domain experience with ML, deep learning, or NLP.
- Holds a master’s degree in computer science, engineering, or math.
Support for you, professionally and personally
- Professional growth: We hire people we trust, and we give team members autonomy to do their best work. We also support professional development with training, coaching, and regular feedback.
- A connected team: Grammarly builds a product that helps people connect, and we apply this mindset to our own team. We have a highly collaborative culture supported by our EAGER values. We also take time to celebrate our colleagues and accomplishments with global, local, and team-specific events and programs.
- Comprehensive benefits: Grammarly offers all team members competitive pay along with a benefits package that includes superior health care. We also offer ample and defined time off, catered lunches, gym and recreation stipends, admission discounts, and more.
- Relocation support: We can help you relocate to Kyiv and make the experience smooth and easy. Grammarly provides a relocation bonus, legal and visa support, temporary housing, moving support and travel expenses, assistance in finding schools for your kids—and all other information you might need.
We encourage you to apply
At Grammarly, we value our differences, and we encourage all—especially those whose identities are traditionally underrepresented in tech organizations—to apply. Grammarly is an equal opportunity company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, criminal prosecution, judgment in a criminal case, or any other characteristic protected by law.