Data Engineering Manager
Airtable's unique approach to enabling end-user software creation has struck a chord with users across many industries and use cases. Our accelerating present and future growth, coupled with our ambitious product surface area, brings many challenges.
Data plays a critical role in understanding how people use the open-ended toolkit that Airtable offers, enabling our team to improve users' experience and accelerate their rate of success.
The data engineering team is responsible for providing high quality foundational data sets for the entire company and for facilitating usage of that data. This team sits within the engineering team, specifically within Data Infrastructure, and owns our data warehouse and associated pipelines that enable decision-making across teams. Not only are we looking for an engineering manager to run the team, but we are looking for a leader to help us become more of a data-driven organization and define what Data Engineering means at Airtable.What you’ll do
- Be responsible for leading the Data Engineering function at Airtable. You will shape the charter of our team and define the technical career ladder.
- Manage the Data Engineering team and be responsible for our roadmap. You will solicit new project ideas, prioritize them for impact, and drive execution across the organization.
- Work closely with other teams throughout the company including product, engineering, marketing, sales, and finance to enable data-driven decision making.
- Own Airtable’s data warehouse, improving on and expanding our foundational datasets and metrics as well as providing data-marts for specific focus areas.
- Proactively look for ways to improve data at Airtable. This may include introducing new tools or technologies, making process improvements, leading or organizing training.
- Provide career guidance and performance feedback to all team members to ensure strategic impact and career progression.
- Work with recruiting and engineering to source qualified data engineering candidates, improve our interview process, and make great hires to continue scaling the team.
- You have 6+ years of experience in a data- focused role with 2+ years of management experience in either a data engineering or data infrastructure type role, working on projects related to data architecture, data modeling, or data management.
- You have a track record of highly impactful work at prior companies, including both as a manager and as an individual contributor.
- You have deep knowledge of industry best practices in data and analytics.
- You are intellectually curious, excited to learn new skills and grow as a manager and as a leader.
- You've wrangled enough data to understand how often the complex systems that produce data can go wrong and have an interest in helping the team produce high quality datasets.
- You communicate with clarity and precision in written form and have experience communicating with graphs and plots.
- You have strong business acumen and have worked closely with data scientists or analysts.
What we offer
- We have your medical, dental, and vision insurance 100% covered (and your dependents covered at 65%)
- Complimentary One Medical membership for individuals and dependents
- High deductible health plan with health spend account contribution
- $250 monthly wellness stipend for you to invest in your overall wellness
- Mental health support
- Family planning support (fertility, adoption, and surrogacy)
- Generous vacation and sick time
- 16 weeks of parental leave
- Learning & Development: we offer a $2,000 per year stipend for your personal career development
Airtable is working on the next computer revolution: one where anyone – even without technical training – can create customized applications that fit their needs, build more interconnected teams, and take part in a growing community of people who share what they create. Founded in 2013 and headquartered in San Francisco, Airtable powers teams at more than 250,000 organizations around the world. Our most recent funding round valued Airtable at $5.77 billion and raised $270 million in additional capital, and we're just getting started!