Hiring in Canada and the US only
At Urbint, our mission is to make communities more resilient. We do this by pairing external data with artificial intelligence to identify areas of high risk and prevent catastrophic loss for utilities and infrastructure operators across the country. We are a team of close-knit engineers, entrepreneurs, and data geeks who obsess over problem-solving, new technologies, and making a positive impact in our communities.
We encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply.
At Urbint, the Machine Learning team does not work on making consumers spend more or on maximizing clicks. That is all fine; we work on reducing carbon emissions, reducing infrastructure risk and avoiding fatalities. We find meaning and excitement solving these problems, and we hope you do, too.
We are looking for a Data Scientist (level 1 or level 2) to join our high visibility, high impact Machine Learning team to help with this mission. The ML team collaborates with a diverse, broader-mission team to deliver value for our customers. Members of the Machine Learning team have the option to major/minor in areas from a large data science specialization spectrum: Technical Product Management, People Management, Data Story-Telling, Applied ML, ML Research, AutoML (Algo/Performance) and MLOps (DE, SRE). This is a great role for someone who enjoys variety and is also looking to expand their skill set in a structured fashion.
What You’ll Do
- You will translate business problems into data science problems, and develop solution frameworks (for repeatability/scaling) with focus on speed to value.
- You will be building machine learning models for a variety of use cases.
- You will have good communication and problem solving skills.
- You will convey complex ideas & trade-off decisions to business stakeholders.
- Overall, you will be responsible for building ML products that deliver measurable business value for customers.
Who You Are
- Well-versed in Python or R (an d willing to continue to learn the Python ecosystem).
- Very comfortable with basic Predictive modeling, Classification, NLP, Content Recommendation systems and Time Series techniques.
- Being very comfortable with the math behind these techniques is key.
- Not required to know all tools/techniques out there, but a passion for learning, being up to date, and the ability to quickly map the problem to a solution space are must-haves.
Nice to Have
- Comfortable with startup or Agile environments
- Comfortable with Git
- Track record of creating excellent slack emojis and memes
- Mission-driven - some companies use AI to serve better digital ads and trade stocks; we seek to make our communities safer and more resilient
- 100% Distributed - work from anywhere
- Distributed work monthly stipend
- Competitive compensation package
- Best in class medical coverage - 100% benefits and premiums paid
- Health perks - wellness reimbursement
- Educational allowance - up to $1000 /yr
- Weekly lunch stipend
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.