Software Engineer - Computer Vision
Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire, UK
“We are on a mission to transform the future of grocery retail through sustained technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using advanced artificial intelligence, robotics, big data, the cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond. With everything from websites to highly automated warehouses that we design in-house, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies, working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast- growing company: today we have colleagues in 7 development centre across the UK and Europe, with offices open in London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria) and Barcelona (Spain), with a satellite office in Stockholm (Sweden).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
About our team..
As part of our Advanced Technology division, our talented robotics research engineers are working on sensor-guided robotic systems to further improve the efficiency of our operation. Our primary goal is to find the best way to deploy robots in the production of grocery orders. In order to do this, we pursue cutting-edge research into state of the art algorithms, sensing technologies, and manipulation techniques. Our ideal candidate will be a specialist in the field of robotic learning, with good programming skills and the ability to translate their own scientific ideas into reusable code.
To give you an idea of the types of projects you might work on, here’s some examples of previous successes. As part of our effort to be in the vanguard of robotics research, the team has been involved in two European Union funded Horizon 2020 research projects with a number of leading European Universities:-
What will you do?
- Working in collaboration with researchers to architect, implement, test and deploy computer vision algorithms for robot pick.
- Driving improvements to code quality through appropriate methods including testing, code review and mentoring.
- Implementing and supporting deployment pipelines to improve delivery to stakeholders and maintain release quality.
- Collaborating with stakeholders including customer teams and product managers to define interfaces and deliverables that meet their requirements.
- Discovering, evaluating and implementing new tools and practices to increase the effectiveness of the team.
- Documenting and presenting progress and deliverables.
We'd like to hear from you if you have...
- Experience developing production software in Python and C++
- Good grasp of software engineering fundamentals: architecture, design patterns, testing
- Substantial experience of CI/CD e.g. GitLab, Docker or similar.
- Focus on code quality both in own work and that of the wider team.
- Demonstrable experience of releasing and maintaining code in production.
- Practical experience of cloud systems e.g. GCP or AWS.
Bonus points if you have…
- Experience of robotics or a similar domain involving hardware, sensors .etc
- Go software development skills
- Experience working with ROS
- Experience of GRPC and protocol buffers
- Experience of image manipulation and computer vision techniques
- Experience working with point clouds
- Experience of training and deploying machine learning models
- Experience developing on Ubuntu Linux
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Please note that unfortunately we are unable to cover the cost of your visa at this time. We do cover the relevant company costs for visa sponsorship. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.