Associate Director, Data Science, Communications Platform
San Francisco, CA
We’ve been changing the game since 2013, and we’re not taking our foot off the gas now! Team spirit is evident at Carvana and every day we let our passions and creativity foster innovation. We take big swings and set ambitious goals in everything we do. If you are looking to join a company revolutionizing an industry then you will LOVE what Carvana has done for the car buying experience. At Carvana, our customers can hop online to...
- Search and browse our inventory of over 20,000 vehicles that we own and certify
- Narrow down search results using highly intelligent filtering tools/components
- View vehicle details, Carfax reports and 360 rotating studio images for every vehicle
- Secure financing in minutes using Carvana’s in house service or their own bank
- Interact with GUI components to easily customize loan length, down payment and monthly payment
- Generate, upload and eSign all documents online (no ink necessary)
- Schedule front door delivery or pick up at one of our vending machines
- Trade in their existing vehicle or just sell it to Carvana (no purchase necessary)
ABOUT THE TEAM AND POSITION...
The Next Gen. Communications Platform (NGCP) team is a talented and humble group of people with backgrounds in Product, Design, Data Science and Engineering, that are focused on building out a platform to support all forms of communications between customers, advocates, and Sebastian (our Conversational AI agent). We work on projects that help us grow the supply of vehicles to keep up with rapid demand on the consumer-side, as well systems that help scale the existing business. As a core member of the NGCP team, you will manage mission-critical initiatives from inception to consumer-facing products. You will have the opportunity to work closely with our Data Science, Software & Data Engineering, Operations, and Analytics teams to help shape the design, build, and execution of our communications platform.
- Hire, develop and lead a team of Data Scientists, Data Labelers, and Data Analysts
- Work closely with Product and Engineering to develop vision and roadmap for our ML-based based solutions and work to execute against it
- Drive best practices of data science and related analytics within the Communications team and partner with other quantitative teams within the organization
- Identify and manage priorities for the data science team that enable the team to be successful in its mission and vision
- Communicate effectively with engineers, product managers and data scientists
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE...
- MS or PhD in a quantitative/engineering field with 7+ years of experience in Data Science, or Quantitative/Operational Research and Development
- Experience managing a team of data scientists and researchers
- Extensive experience in Machine Learning frameworks and technologies like TensorFlow, Keras, Spark, and language models like BERT, RoBERTa, GPT-2, 3 or T5
- Experience with cloud APIs (e.g., GCP, AWS, Azure), and databases / data lake solutions like Postgres, Snowflake, BigQuery
- Proven experience with bringing structured thinking in ambiguous problems spaces and delivering solutions
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT IN RETURN
- Full-Time Salary Position
- Health, Dental and Vision benefits (Employee health 100% covered by Carvana)
- An amazing work, learn, and play environment near Downtown and UC Berkeley
- Employee car discounts and perks
- 401K with company match
- Access to opportunities to expand your skill set and share your knowledge with others across the organization
Hiring is contingent on passing a complete background check. This role is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
Carvana is an equal employment opportunity employer. All applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. Carvana also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories.
Please note this job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.