Remote (United States or Canada)
CircleCI is looking for a Data Scientist to join our growing Business Insights team. The Data Scientist will measure new initiatives and make data-driven recommendations around go-to-market strategy. We’re looking for someone who can proactively surface recommendations and insights, who's comfortable prioritizing work across multiple stakeholders, and who can work across the analytics and data stack in order to solve problems.
The Data Scientist will work across many departments, including Finance, Operations, Growth, R&D, Marketing, Sales & Customer Success to surface and support consumption-based modeling and insights. A successful candidate will be a highly motivated person who can explore and help solve complex business problems, ruthlessly prioritize, and set up scalable analytic programs & processes. This role will directly affect change through highly visible, high impact and complex analytic engagements, in addition to influencing decisions across the company through partnership and collaboration. This position reports to the Director of Business Insights.
What you'll do:
- Support financial and business modeling: Apply statistical and other data analysis techniques to drive predictive modeling of short-term and medium-term forecasts of consumption-based metrics.
- Support rapid growth: Evaluating the performance of our go-to-market strategies and initiatives by analyzing customer funnels and metrics (new business, retention, CAC, LTV, churn, etc.). Building data science models to accelerate the business by providing deeper insights into prospect and customer behaviors.
- Build data practices: Define a process for the discovery of data products. Collaborate with data engineering and data analytics on ingesting data, constructing reusable data pipelines for company-wide use, and rolling models into production. Contribute to our growing data architecture, governance, documentation, and security practices. Work through organizational, people, and process challenges of breaking new ground. Celebrate incremental wins.
What we're looking for:
- 5+ years in data science, analytics, or comparable roles. Four or more years focused on models and algorithms. Demonstrable experience with model selection. Creativity in adapting tools and techniques.
- Degree in technical or quantitative fields such as Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Engineering, Economics, or Finance strongly preferred
- Understanding of SaaS business models and key metrics. Familiarity with consumption-based models strongly preferred
- Comfortable working with billion-row datasets. Experienced with distributed data processing technology (e.g., Spark). Hands-on experience with AWS’s data warehousing and ML products and Snowflake. Fluent in Python for analytics/ML use cases as well as SQL.
- Soft skills: Passion for data, discovery, and problem-solving. Curious; confident; and open to questioning assumptions and being questioned. Effective communicator across technical and business audiences; able to manage stakeholder expectations; and able to collaborate with hands-on executives. Entrepreneurial; fast-moving; able to balance vision with execution; and not easily discouraged. Has an instinct for value; and focused on the incremental, not gold plating.
- Bonus for knowledge of our domain--software delivery: Empathy for the challenges developers face with productivity and time to market. Ideally, experience developing code, debugging, testing, committing with distributed VCS and modern CI/CD.
We know there’s no such thing as a “perfect” candidate - we’re all a work in progress and are growing new skills and capabilities all the time. CircleCI welcomes those passionate about learning and evolving, so however you identify and whatever your background, if this looks like a role where you could do your best work, we hope you’ll apply.
CircleCI is the world’s largest shared continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD) platform, and the central hub where code moves from idea to delivery. As one of the most-used DevOps tools that processes more than 1 million builds a day, CircleCI has unique access to data on how engineering teams work, and how their code runs. Companies like Spotify, Coinbase, Stitch Fix, and BuzzFeed use us to improve engineering team productivity, release better products, and get to market faster.
Founded in 2011 and headquartered in downtown San Francisco with a global, remote workforce, CircleCI is venture-backed by IVP, Sapphire Ventures, Owl Rock, NextEquity Partners, Scale Venture Partners, Threshold Ventures, Baseline Ventures, Top Tier Capital Partners, Industry Ventures, Heavybit, and Harrison Metal Capital. Learn more at https://circleci.com.
CircleCI is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.