Data Engineer (Python + Spark)
Every month, thousands of customers around Europe buy on zooplus. The mission of the profiling team is to support other engineering teams by providing aggregated quality data through interfaces that are easy to consume.
This covers all type of users, from data scientists and analysts which use raw, or curated, data for reporting or building machine learning algorithms, to integration tools for developers such as APIs, AWS repositories and business objects, and aims to be the core source of profiling data for the company soon for marketing targeting, and personalization.
In this role you will have the opportunity to be working in a development team, goal oriented, and with other engineers and data scientists. This team is part of the Data and Analytics department of the company, so expect not only the usual software engineering activities, but also data analysis and reporting, and working with data scientists to make aggregate their algorithms for a wider audience in the company.
Our way of working is composed of Scrum, Extreme Programming (XP) and Lean Software practices. The cross-functional dev team holds full ownership, from idea to production with a DevOps mindset: you build it you run it.
What you will be responsible for
We’re looking for a person that will be focused on building our product within an engineering and data team with a Product Owner:
- Write data applications with Python, Java and SQL
- Write tests, review, refactor and document these applications
- Deploy in production applications and other data artifacts
- Propose and implement good practices
- Collaborate with other teams of engineers, analysts and data scientists
What we are looking for
The ideal person for this role should have a deep experience in software development based on Python, Java and SQL, and experience in the use of data analysis platforms and tools.
To work together in an optimal way in this position, we wish your qualifications to include:
- (Desirable) Degree in Computer Science or a relevant related field
- 3+ years of experience in software engineering
- Experience working with Spark (ideally Python)
- Experience in the setup of data analysis platforms and ETL tools
- Experience working with cloud platforms (ideally AWS)
- Experience with relational databases (Oracle, Postgres, Athena...)
- Experience with other distributed data systems (Hadoop, EMR, Dask...)
- Experience in the design APIs and Batch microservices
- Knowledge of Scrum methods and familiarity with how they apply in the software development context
- Fluent English
What we are offering you
Become a part of our success story and seize the opportunity to take on a real challenge in a dynamically growing company where there is huge scope for development and short decision-making processes. We are offering you a versatile, international-facing role in our motivated team with colleagues from all over Europe. Our Spanish office is at a great location in Madrid, with great infrastructure links. Additionally, we offer many competitive benefits such as:
- Competitive salary
- 28 vacation days (plus December 24th and 31st)
- Medical insurance
- Flexible working hours
- Discount in zooplus shop
Number 1 in Europe!
zooplus AG is Europe’s leading online retailer of pet supplies. With over 8 million active customers in more than 30 European countries and 1,8 billion Euro revenue in 2020, zooplus is comfortably the market leader in the online segment. At zooplus, we believe e-commerce to be the sales model of today and for the future. E-commerce has become one of the fastest developing areas of business. Modern logistics centers, and the use of big data and personalization, mean that online sales can be handled with increasing efficiency.
Did we make you curious?
Then send us your application in English via our online application form