Data Science Evaluation Intern 2021
Remote - USA
Quartet is a platform that makes it easier for people to get the best mental health care for them. Our technology and services reach people who need care, connect them to the right care, track the quality of their care, and support their care journeys. Backed by $160.5MM in venture funding from top investors like Oak HC/FT, GV (formerly Google Ventures), F-Prime Capital Partners, Polaris Partners, Deerfield Management, Centene Corporation, and Echo Health Ventures, Quartet partners with health insurance plans and health systems in 32 states across the country to help people get the care they need.
We are deeply committed to growing a diverse team and an equitable and inclusive culture where all Quartetians are empowered to be themselves and do their best work. We know this is vital in realizing our mission to improve the lives of people with mental health conditions. As part of our commitment to building a diverse team, we have signed the Parity Pledge and actively encourage applicants of all backgrounds to apply.
About Quartet's Internship Program:
“Quartet hires the best and brightest minds to get patients the right care, at the right time.”
Quartet employees, known as Quartetians, work together within a common set of values; we collaborate and make a difference through Building Trust, Amplifying Diverse Perspectives, Advocating Fiercely, Showing Up in Earnest and Embodying Kindness. We are driven by the knowledge and passion of our colleagues, our desire to put in quality work for the sake of our patients, and our recognition that every Quartetian has something important to say, value to add, and a life outside of work.
In our summer internship, you will get a hands-on introduction to working at a mental healthcare technology start-up and the opportunity to work alongside experts in their craft in a wide variety of disciplines. You will work on real projects that deliver real impact for people, receive mentorship and feedback, form lasting connections beyond your time here, and discover whether healthcare technology is the right career path for you.
About the team & opportunity:
The Data Science team at Quartet is charged with boosting Quartet’s efforts to improve quality and speed of mental healthcare, patient outcomes, and cost efficiency through innovation, research, and knowledge building.
Quartet is looking for an Intern to join the Data Science team for the summer. This person will work closely with the Evaluation Data Science team to design and implement an original research project assessing Quartet’s impact on patient outcomes. The Evaluation team is primarily tasked with understanding the causal mechanisms through which Quartet impacts patients, insurers and providers and using that understanding to drive organizational decision-making and demonstrate value to customers. If you enjoy an environment of intellectual curiosity and have a desire to help improve access to mental health care, we would be thrilled to hear from you!
- Work independently and in collaboration with a data scientist on an original research project
- Learn about an industrial use-case of causal inference methods to assess program impact and segment the patient population
- Make material improvements to our understanding of how Quartet drives patient outcomes and how those outcomes differ over patient populations
- Extend our current analysis pipeline to improve the efficiency and robustness of our studies
- Communicate your observations and conclusions to a broad group of stakeholders
- Bachelor’s degree in statistics, biostatistics, epidemiology, economics or a related field
- Strong statistical and data visualization skills in R
- Competency in using Jupyter or R markdown notebooks to organize and share your analyses
- Comfort with the Linux command line, R environment management, and git for version control
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Self-starter who is curious, reliable, and knows where to look for the right answers
- Ability to clearly communicate across disciplines and work collaboratively.
- Working towards a Master’s or Ph.D. in statistics, biostatistics, epidemiology, health economics or a related field
- Comfort with regression modeling and hypothesis testing
- Familiarity with data transformation and extraction using SQL databases
- Familiarity with causal inference methods (e.g. propensity score matching)
Your cover letter must include the following information:
- Why you are interested in Quartet Health
- Three to five bullet points detailing what you want to achieve during your internship.
- Your availability to intern on a full-time basis, and also what dates are you available to join full-time after your internship is complete?
- Duration of internship: June 14 - August 20, 2021, commitment of 40 hours per week (Monday through Friday). All internships are paid.
- Internship applications will be reviewed and accepted on a rolling basis, all applications must be submitted by April 30, 2021.
- Due to COVID-19 precautions, this internship will be remote / virtual, so you can work from home in any location to participate.
Employee Benefits for Quartet include: Unlimited vacation, volunteer opportunities, team events, mental healthcare coverage of 15 free therapy sessions + unlimited copay reimbursements, medical, dental + vision coverage, generous parental and military leave, commuter benefits, 401K, and stock option grants.
Want to know what Quartet life is like? Click here to meet our team.
Quartet actively encourages applicants of all backgrounds to apply and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy or caregiver status, veteran status, or any other legally protected status. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform essential job duties - reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions. If you require assistance in completing this application, interviewing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to email@example.com .
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this Web site or directly to managers. Quartet does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Quartet will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Quartet.
Have someone to refer? Email firstname.lastname@example.org to submit their details to us.