Data Analyst and Business Intelligence Curator
San Francisco, California, United States
The Strategic & Operational Analysis group at Invitae handles most of the company’s analyses for business intelligence and business operations improvements, plus a great deal of the company’s financial modeling for strategic decision analysis.
Our Analytics subteam is currently at an exciting juncture as we position ourselves to scale up reliable business intelligence delivery for our fast-growing company. We will continue providing quality analytics for teams throughout the company; however a growing percentage of our time will be spent providing centralized services and administration that empower content creators in other teams. We’d like a person who can shepherd this transition by setting up ongoing quality processes and standards, conducting training programs, and certifying and documenting datasources so that we are better positioned for the next phase of our growth. The new team member would also be called upon to create Tableau reports for teams throughout the company that further business goals and lead to impactful results.
We are looking for an internally motivated, detail-oriented team player with deep knowledge of Tableau Desktop and Server, who is excited about shaping processes that optimize the effectiveness of our business intelligence efforts and prepare us for the next phase of our growth.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ESSENTIAL DUTIES
- Tableau server contents - Design and maintain certified Tableau server datasources that support major business use cases; initiate and maintain documentation of datasource fields in third party data catalog software; and formulate and perform regular quality control processes, including those necessary for SOX and HIPAA compliance. Initiate documentation of content using third party data catalog software, and train users on the new documentation.
- Ongoing quality processes - Plan and perform regular maintenance tasks to improve Tableau Server usability and comply with relevant regulations (such as SOX and HIPAA). Work with representatives on teams throughout the company to promote business intelligence excellence and maintain quality standards. Educate report users, content creators, and team representatives on reports and processes.
- Analytics - Design and maintain business intelligence reports that further business goals and optimize effectiveness. This requires working with specific teams to understand their business requirements, and create reports that exhibit high clarity, maintainability, and reliability.
EXPERIENCE AND CHARACTERISTICS
- 2+ years experience with Tableau Server and Tableau Desktop
- High proficiency using SQL
- Adept at learning new software and technologies, which inevitably change in a fast-paced environment
- Continually seeks solutions with the most positive business impact; doesn’t simply execute instructions
- Excellent data visualization skills (portfolio desired)
- High attention to detail; uses rigorous quality control measure to test work appropriately
- Excellent communicator; facility with user training and education.
- Detail-oriented, proactive, flexible and able to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Thinks independently, and enjoys challenging problems.
- Is collaborative, humble, team-first, constantly learning and improving
- Tableau Server certification
- Tableau Desktop certification
- Experience transitioning an enterprise Tableau solution from Wild West to structured setup
- Experience with specific technologies: data catalog software such as Alation or similar, Amazon redshift and/or snowflake databases, jira
- Experience in life sciences is nice but not required by any means. Will consider all backgrounds.
At Invitae, we value diversity and provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.