Senior Software Engineer – Deep Learning and Computer Vision
At Charles River Analytics, we take great pride in our success at attracting and retaining the most talented and creative problem-solvers in the field. We are a 100% employee-owned company, encouraging participation, innovation, and responsibility from our entire staff. Charles River Analytics is developing software solutions for Government customers including the Department of Defense, the National Institutes of Health, and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. You know those cool software projects coming out of places like DARPA or various Government agency labs? We do that!
We have an exciting opportunity for an entrepreneurial-minded and experienced senior engineer with an interest in developing cutting-edge solutions to the world’s most challenging problems in computer vision/image processing and advanced sensor algorithms. We have several current and upcoming projects dealing with sensor processing, robot navigation, surveillance, and robotic autonomy, where we work with advanced machine learning algorithms, and apply these to novel sensors, robotic systems, and mobile devices to produce new capabilities and products. You will work with our science and interdisciplinary engineering teams to determine the requirements for a range of different problems and domains, to conceptualize innovative and scientifically-rigorous methods for solving those problems, and to assist in implementing these designs in software in a way that can be communicated to our customers and is intuitive to end-users. This position is one that is best suited to an independent thinker with an entrepreneurial drive, who has a track record of self-motivated investigation and tinkering, and who has a passion for ideation and pushing technical boundaries.
If you have pursued non-work or non-school related projects simply because you like building things and are not afraid of the challenges associated with exploring and learning outside of your comfort zone, we want to hear from you. This is a customer-facing engineering role with the potential for engineering team leadership. Join our team at one of Boston's Best Places to Work!
How you will make a positive impact:
- Develop clean, reusable computer vision algorithms to support a wide variety of applications, such as detection/tracking, image pre-processing, deep learning, and robotics
- Make design and implementation decisions which maintain the right balance of forward-thinking, project requirements, and scope, while avoiding over-engineering
- Work with team members (scientists and other engineers) to optimize framework-based (e.g., PyTorch, Caffe) deep learning models for fast inference performance
- Work with internal team members and customers to understand project goals and translate those goals into technical requirements
- Interact with customers (e.g., at project kickoff), users, and domain experts to analyze and understand challenges and to develop engineering solutions accordingly
- Contribute technical content to proposals and reports
To be successful in this role with us, you'll at least need:
- Bachelors in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or related field. Masters preferred.
- 5+ years of experience with most of the following (level will be commensurate with demonstrated experience across areas):
- C++ and/or Python
- Developing research software
- Developing production-quality software
- Robot Operating System (ROS)
- Computer Vision algorithm development
- Deep learning tools such as TensorFlow and PyTorch
- Experience with source control best practices (branching, pull requests, etc.)
- Demonstrated capability to work both independently and collaboratively within a team environment
- Willingness to interact with and present to clients in areas relevant to your expertise
- Experience writing technical documentation (e.g., written status reports, technical spec sheets, contributions to journal articles and/ or conference proceedings)
- Willingness to work at Charles River Analytics headquarters in Cambridge, MA
- Minimal travel may be required, estimated at less than a week per quarter
- U.S. Citizenship
- Ability and willingness to obtain a U.S. Security Clearance in the future.
At CRA, we are often exploring new ways to bring our projects together. Here are some examples of technologies we work with and nice-to-have skills which, should you possess them, would help you thrive here:
- Experience with the Gazebo simulator, especially with ROS
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines and modern DevOps/DevSecOps
- Experience with Docker containers
- Experience with GPU languages such as CUDA/OpenCL/OpenGL/WebGL
- Experience with mobile device development (e.g., Android, iOS), specifically with using cameras, depth sensors, and other sensors as data sources and porting our desktop-based computer vision algorithms to mobile (and other low-power) platforms
- Experience with computer networking and network programming
- Experience developing software interfaces to hardware systems (e.g., using serial or TCP/IP)
- Experience using electrical test equipment (multimeters, and oscilloscopes)
- Willingness to assist in physical installation, fabrication, testing, and troubleshooting of software/hardware where needed (e.g., in the lab, at remote field exercises, etc.)
- Experience with Agile development methodologies
Charles River Analytics is a 100% employee-owned company that thrives on collaboration and values each employee-owner. We offer employee ownership, competitive compensation plus bonus and profit-sharing, with an attractive benefits package including 100% employer-paid medical and dental insurance, as well as vision, life, and disability insurance, paid maternity/paternity leave, tuition reimbursement, monthly gym allowance, free parking, generous paid time off, and a casual environment. We offer tremendous flexibility and value work-life balance. We are also accessible by public transit.