Machine Learning Engineer, Speech Technology
Develop novel AI/ML + Speech applications used by millions of language learners every day.
Our mission is to make language education free, fun and accessible for everyone in the world. With 300 million total users worldwide, Duolingo is the most popular way to learn a language online.
As an ML Engineer, you will apply your background in machine learning to develop state-of-the-art product features for applications in speech recognition, text-to-speech, natural language processing, language learning, and so on. In many cases, you’ll have to invent new technologies to tackle unique Duolingo data! You will work with a fun and diverse team to build intelligent software used by millions of people, around the world, every day.
- Apply AI/ML methods to massive data sets
- Prototype new models, evaluate with offline experiments, and then productionize solutions at scale to millions of daily users
- Work with a cross-functional team of award-winning designers, researchers, engineers, and others to build new product features
- A few of our AI/ML projects include:
- Excellent presentation and communication skills
- Strong debugging and critical thinking skills
- PhD or MS in machine learning, speech technology, natural language processing, or a related field
- Experience implementing ML systems in Python, Java, Scala, C/C++, etc.
- Ability to relocate to Pittsburgh, PA
Exceptional Candidates WIll Have…
- 3+ years industry experience with speech technology (e.g., speech recognition, text-to-speech, spoken language assessment, dialog systems, etc.)
- A portfolio of relevant publications or open-source projects
- A desire to keep up with the field by attending or publishing at relevant conferences (InterSpeech, ACL, EMNLP, KDD, AAAI, ICLR, CVPR, etc.)