Senior Data Engineer
New York, NY, United States
Who we are:
Dataminr puts real-time AI and public data to work for our clients, generating relevant and actionable alerts for global corporations, public sector agencies, newsrooms, and NGOs. Our leading AI platform detects the earliest signals of high-impact events and emerging risks from vast amounts of publicly available information. Our real-time alerts enable tens of thousands of users at hundreds of public and private sector organizations to learn first of breaking events around the world, develop effective risk mitigation strategies, and respond with confidence as crises unfold.
Dataminr is making its mark for growth and innovation, recently earning recognition on the Deloitte Technology Fast 500, Forbes AI 50 and Forbes Cloud 100 lists. We also earned accolades for ‘Most Innovative Use of AI’ from the 2020 AI & Machine Learning Awards.
Who you are:
You're an experienced Senior Data Engineer interested in working in both streaming and batch processing environments [Kafka streaming, Snowflake, Spark, SCALA, Java], with best-in-class cloud-native technologies. You have significant accomplishments designing, building and maintaining data infrastructure. You have ample experience writing and upgrading ELTs that produce meaningful insights for an innovative, data-intensive product. You are fluent in cloud-native dev ops and data infrastructure as-a-service, and you find meaning in enabling others to work faster by building better tooling. Ideally you excel at integrating data from different sources, using SQL for exploratory analyses and data validation, and are well-versed in the advantages and limitations of various big data architectures and technologies. You are intellectually curious and you understand the importance of communication in engineering. You have a history of mentoring other engineers, you give your time and support generously and you know when to ask for help.
You will be a lead data engineer responsible for architecting and building highly-performant and maintainable data infrastructure. You’ll learn best-in-class technologies and processes, working on greenfield data platform projects. You will work closely with other engineering teams, including AI and Data Science, as you identify, extract, write and maintain shared data pipelines and enhance our tooling for data infrastructure-as-a-service. You’ll be responsible for designing new methods for ensuring the validity and quality of our data, and you’ll help develop systems that accurately monitor and measure the impact of releases to our production systems. In the first month, you’ll
- start off by learning the ropes, spending time with different parts of the company to understand how Dataminr works.
- get up to speed on our data processing pipelines and data structures with overview sessions and deep dives with your team.
- contribute code to production systems.
Within 3 months, you’ll:
- share responsibility for ETLs and APIs and other services with members of your team.
- help to plan new infrastructure features and improvements.
- begin to take more of a role in helping others understand our data platform strategy.
Within 6 months, you’ll:
- own an area of the data platform.
- design and implement pipelines that impact multiple teams across the company.
- be influential in helping plan the next iteration of our data platforms.
- bring new ideas to our engineering and analytics processes to help us continuously improve.
Why you should work here:
- We recognize and reward hard work with:
- company paid benefits for employees and their dependents, including medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance
- 401(k) savings plan with company matching
- flexible spending account for out-of-pocket medical, transit, parking and dependent care expenses
- We want you to be your best, authentic self by supporting you with:
- a diverse, driven, and passionate team of coworkers who want you to succeed
- individual learning and development fund and professional training
- generous paid time off; including sick leave and 100% company paid parental leave
- remote working friendly perks such as expanded telehealth options for mental and physical well being, virtual yoga, meditation and health and fitness app reimbursements
…and this is just to name a few!
Dataminr is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Individuals seeking employment at Dataminr are considered without regards to race, sex, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetics, marital status, pregnancy, unemployment status, sexual orientation, citizenship status or veteran status.#LI-BM #LI-Remote