Senior Big Data Engineer
New York, NY, United States
Who we are:
Dataminr puts real-time AI and public data to work for our clients, generating relevant and actionable alerts for global corporations, public sector agencies, newsrooms, and NGOs. Our leading AI platform detects the earliest signals of high-impact events and emerging risks from vast amounts of publicly available information. Our real-time alerts enable tens of thousands of users at hundreds of public and private sector organizations to learn first of breaking events around the world, develop effective risk mitigation strategies, and respond with confidence as crises unfold.
Dataminr is making its mark for growth and innovation, recently earning recognition on the Deloitte Technology Fast 500, Forbes AI 50 and Forbes Cloud 100 lists. We also earned accolades for ‘Most Innovative Use of AI’ from the 2020 AI & Machine Learning Awards.
If you enjoy working on a collaborative, high growth team with best-in-class cloud-native technologies, this is the role for you! Our tech stack includes Snowflake, Kafka & Kafka Connect, Spark, SCALA, Java, Python, and our business model is 24/7 streaming data. We support both streaming and batch processes within an integrated and resilient architecture that delivers high impact results for teams across the company. We are passionate about Data Infrastructure as a Service, and we find meaning in enabling others to work faster by building better tooling. In this role, you will enjoy greenfield big data engineering projects that provide highly-performant and easy-to-maintain data infrastructure. You’ll partner with other teams across research, AI and engineering, and the likelihood is high that you’ll make their day with data. You’ll contribute to expanding our methods for ensuring the validity and quality of the company’s datasets, and you’ll help develop systems that accurately monitor and measure the impact of releases to our production systems. In the first month, you’ll
- start off by learning the ropes, spending time with different parts of the company to understand how Dataminr works.
- get up to speed on our data infrastructure and our roadmap with overview sessions and deep dives with your team.
- contribute code to production systems.
Within 3 months, you’ll:
- share responsibility for data infrastructure with members of your team.
- help to plan new infrastructure features and improvements.
- begin to take more of a role in helping others understand our data platform strategy.
Within 6 months, you’ll:
- own an area of the data platform, depending on your interests
- design and implement pipelines that impact multiple teams across the company.
- be influential in helping plan the next iteration of our data platforms.
- bring new ideas to our engineering and analytics processes to help us continuously improve.
Who you are:
You have 5+ years of experience with data engineering. You love all things data. You share knowledge and love to learn. You have some experience designing, building and maintaining data infrastructure and are proficient in cloud-native dev ops. You enjoy writing and maintaining ELTs and their orchestration in order to produce meaningful and timely insights. Ideally you excel at integrating data from different sources, using SQL and Python, or Java, for exploratory analyses and data validation, and are well-versed in the advantages and limitations of various big data architectures and technologies. You are intellectually curious and you understand the importance of mindful communication in engineering. You have a history of mentoring other engineers and you give your time and support to help others.
Why you should work here:
- We recognize and reward hard work with:
- company paid benefits for employees and their dependents, including medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance
- 401(k) savings plan with company matching
- flexible spending account for out-of-pocket medical, transit, parking and dependent care expenses
- We want you to be your best, authentic self by supporting you with:
- a diverse, driven, and passionate team of coworkers who want you to succeed
- individual learning and development fund and professional training
- generous paid time off; including sick leave and 100% company paid parental leave
- remote working friendly perks such as expanded telehealth options for mental and physical well being, virtual yoga, meditation and health and fitness app reimbursements
…and this is just to name a few!
Dataminr is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Individuals seeking employment at Dataminr are considered without regards to race, sex, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetics, marital status, pregnancy, unemployment status, sexual orientation, citizenship status or veteran status.#LI-BM #LI-Remote