Senior Data Scientist - Personalization
San Francisco, California, United States
Oura is an award-winning and fast-growing startup that helps people track all stages of sleep and activity using the Oura Ring and connected app. By providing daily feedback and practical steps to inspire healthy lifestyles, we've helped hundreds of thousands of people improve their sleep, understand their bodies, and transform their health. We’re on a mission to empower every person to own their inner potential, and we’re seeking candidates who want to make an impact on our journey.
We are looking for a Senior Data Scientist to work on Personalization and Recommendation in North America. You will bring expertise in recommender systems and algorithms for personalization, and working closely with designers and engineers help us build a product experience that is uniquely tailored to every user’s needs. Your team’s typical projects will include the following:
- Design and build a recommendation engine to make sure we show users the content they are most likely to engage with
- Creatively tackle the cold-start problem of understanding new users’ preferences as soon as possible after they start using our product
- Develop algorithms to determine the right situation and time to reach out to a user proactively with content they will enjoy, by push notifications or email
- Analyze user behavior to understand different learning styles: which users prefer to read text vs watch videos, etc.?
The right candidate will be able to help us make the design and architecture choices leading to a state-of-the-art recommendation platform, integrating both user activity and health data. Aiming higher is one of our core values, and we will support you in researching the state of the art and developing novel solutions that push the envelope.
We would love to have You on our team, if You:
- Are excited about bringing better sleep and wellness to hundreds of thousands of people worldwide
- Have hands-on experience developing data-driven recommender systems, including a thorough mastery of workhorse techniques for collaborative filtering, and exposure to more recent developments in the field
- Are familiar with multi-arm bandits or other online algorithms for personalization
- Have experience developing and launching models that improve over time with feedback loops (including implicit and explicit signals)
- Have good coding skills in Python
- Have a good understanding of experimental methods and A/B testing
- Thrive in a fast-paced, sometimes unpredictable, and highly collaborative work environment
- Familiarity with any of the following a plus: AWS, reinforcement learning, expert systems, logic programming (e.g. Prolog, Jena)
- Competitive Salary
- Lunch benefit
- Wellness benefit
- Flexible working hours + work-life balance
- Collaborative, brilliant teammates
- An Oura Ring of your own
- Latest equipment of choice
If this sounds like the opportunity for you, please send us your application as soon as possible. We will start reviewing the applications immediately, as we receive them.