Artificial Intelligence & Mechanical Engineering Senior Staff Member
Oak Ridge, Tennessee
Oak Ridge National LaboratoryWe apply expertise in advanced materials, supercomputing, neutrons, and nuclear science to national priorities in energy, security, and scientific discovery
The Energy Systems Analytics (ESA) group at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) conducts applied machine learning and decision science research and development for energy applications, with a focus on advanced manufacturing technologies. The group consists of staff members with backgrounds in electrical engineering, computer science, mechanical engineering, and optical engineering, and frequently collaborates with partners in industry, academia, and other government organizations.
To support ORNL strategic R&D activities in advanced manufacturing, the ESA group is currently accepting applications for a senior research staff member position with expertise in mechanical engineering, machine learning and data analytics. In this role, you will initiate, lead, and perform independent R&D efforts focusing primarily on advanced manufacturing technologies. You will provide technical oversight of a small team of scientists and engineers, and be actively engaged in the development of new techniques to explore three areas of interest: (1) improvement of manufacturing systems efficiency, accuracy, and repeatability; (2) establish causality between machine behavior and part quality; and (3) optimization of manufacturing processes targeting higher throughput and part quality.
You will work at the Manufacturing Demonstration Facility (MDF - https://web.ornl.gov/sci/manufacturing/mdf/) to advance manufacturing technologies, and to facilitate and accelerate their deployment to industry. The MDF relies on a diverse group of experts (material research, systems research, data science, robotics development) and on a cohort of state-of-the-art 3D printers and machining systems to produce complex parts with a wide range of materials and sizes.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
Lead research projects and teams to meet milestones and deliverables
Development of advanced analytics solutions for detection and measurement systems
Development of software and algorithms to collect and analyze data
Development of imaging/sensing systems to collect data
Publish research in peer reviewed journals
Develop new ideas and proposals to support the research team
Protect intellectual property using patents and copyright licensing
Promote the growth of the team by recruiting talents
Mentoring young staff, postdocs, and students
Participate in frequent ORNL/sponsors meetings
- Ph.D. with a minimum of 6 years relevant experience, a M.S. with a minimum of 12 years relevant experiences or a B.S. with 15 years relevant experience in mechanical engineering or related field
- Demonstrated experience in leading R&D teams
- Demonstrated experience conceiving and executing research and development projects
- Substantial programming skills such as Python and/or C/C++
- Substantial experience in the implementation of learning algorithms
- Substantial experience with advanced manufacturing systems
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- This position requires access to technology that is subject to export control requirements. Successful candidates must be qualified for such access without an export control license.
*Visa sponsorship is not available for this position*