Associate Data Scientist, Predictive Modeling
If you like disrupting the norm and are looking for a company revolutionizing an industry then you will LOVE what Carvana has done for the car buying experience. Buying a car the old fashioned way sucks and we are working hard to make it NOT suck. At Carvana, our customers can hop online to...
- Search and browse our inventory of over 20,000 vehicles that we own and certify.
- Narrow down search results using highly intelligent filtering tools/components.
- View vehicle details, Carfax reports, and 360 rotating studio images for every vehicle.
- Secure financing in minutes using Carvana’s in-house service or their own bank.
- Interact with GUI components to easily customize loan length, down payment, and monthly payment.
- Generate, upload, and eSign all documents online (no ink necessary).
- Schedule front door delivery or pick up at one of our vending machines.
- Trade-in their existing vehicle or just sell it to Carvana (no purchase necessary).
About the team and position
We’re looking for an energetic and enthusiastic individual to join our Predictive Modeling team as an Associate Data Scientist focused on fraud and credit risk. You will work closely with our fraud and risk Data Scientists to analyze the business impact and facilitate the use of their projects. Your analysis and insights will inform all levels of the company and drive strategic decisions across many different functional groups. The Predictive Modeling team consists of top-caliber professionals who use a large array of data and apply cutting edge methods in machine learning, experimental design, statistics, as well as simulation and optimization to drive top-line results. You will play a critical role in the preparation of data, triage of opportunities, and analysis of results from our best-in-class Data Science team.
What you’ll be doing
- Use econometric techniques to estimate causal effects and apply results to create or modify policy, design experiments, and inform Data Science product recommendations
- Contribute to the design of experiments that optimally balance learning rates with potential business costs
- Estimate and monitor the business impact of Predictive Modeling solutions in production, including building high-quality dashboards with engaging visualizations
- Aggregate data from a variety of datasets, automate data collection and processing
- Complete other sophisticated analytics projects and communicate analytical findings to stakeholders in the product development, operations, and credit risk management teams
- Scope and support the implementation of new Data Science initiatives in coordination with data engineering and software engineering teams
- Other duties as assigned
What you should have
- Quantitative undergraduate degree (such as math, economics, statistics, etc.) with a strong academic record, graduate degree strongly preferred
- An understanding of and interest in data science, predictive modeling, and experiment design
- Experience in applied statistics, econometrics, and regression analysis preferred
- Proven experience working in SQL / TSQL
- Experience with Tableau or other BI/visualization technologies
- Experience in at least one statistical programming language Python, R, SAS, etc.
- Demonstrated intellectual curiosity and interest in solving problems, particularly using data to help answer broadly defined questions (e.g., how consumers make purchasing decisions)
- Design, build, and monitor dashboards and visualizations; exploration and segmentation of data to identify and explain key drivers
- Ability to thrive (and preference to work) in a dynamic, fast-paced environment with frequently changing goals and deadlines
- Curiosity to continue learning new analytical methods and tools
- Strong communication skills
What we’ll offer in return
- Full-Time Salary Position with a competitive salary.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits.
- 401K with company match.
- A multitude of perks including student loan payments, discounts on vehicles, benefits for your pets, and much more.
- A great wellness program to keep you healthy and happy both physically and mentally.
- Access to opportunities to expand your skill set and share your knowledge with others across the organization.
- A company culture of promotions from within, with a start-up atmosphere allowing for varied and rapid career development.
- A seat in one of the fastest-growing companies in the country.
To be able to do your job at Carvana, there are some basic requirements we want to share with you.
- Must be able to read, write, speak and understand English.
Of course, we’ll make any reasonable accommodations for those with disabilities to perform the essential functions of their jobs.
Hiring is contingent on passing a complete background check. This role is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
Carvana is an equal employment opportunity employer. All applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. Carvana also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories.
Please note this job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.