Junior Metadata Analyst
Junior, Metadata Analyst
Magic Leap’s mission is to harmonize people and technology to create a better, more unified world. Magic Leap is a team of creatives and technologists building a personal, spatial computing platform that seamlessly blends the digital and physical worlds. Magic Leap’s Business Technology organization (BT) is seeking a junior metadata analyst who can help the business better understand their data and make sure it is used according to data governance best practices. You will assist with the enrichment of a data catalog, respond to data stewards with their questions and concerns on governance, and support data privacy and compliance efforts across the organization.
Do you get excited about delighting your customers? Do you love building and shipping beautiful experiences? Do you enjoy leading your team through service, helping them grow and succeed?
Great. We’re going to change the world. Join us at Magic Leap, and let’s do it together!
A critical role of Magic Leap's Business Technology (BT) solutions teams, Junior, Metadata Analyst will support data governance, metadata management, data stewardship and data privacy initiatives and ensure wider alignment and clarity of metadata is established and accessible to support all business needs. The incumbent must be self-directed and comfortable supporting the data management needs of multiple teams, systems and products.
- Communicate efficiently and with a customer mindset to stakeholders
- Propose, prepare, and present metadata solutions based on stakeholders needs
- Create upload files and enrichment files to enhance the data dictionary
- Train and offer support to new users of the data catalog or the data stewardship program
- Use reports to track the areas of under/overutilization of the data catalog
- Work closely with the privacy and data analytics teams to coordinate on large data efforts and compliance requirements
- Identify and recommend innovative ways to save money by streamlining business processes
- Understand a variety of database structures and understand how to best tag its associated metadata
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes and streamlining data management processes
- Documenting complex processes and ideas expressed by others
- Assist with requirements gathering to extract metadata for a data dictionary
- Work with stakeholders at multiple levels to assist with data governance queries and ensure their alignment with data policies
- Facilitate meetings to gather business and data requirements and translate them into appropriate glossary terms and tags that can support multiple teams’ needs
- Support data management tools used by both technical and functional resources throughout all areas of the organization
- Work with data and analytics experts to strive for greater functionality in the data ecosystem
As Junior, Metadata Analyst you will report to our Sr. Manager, Business Technology, Core Data.
- 1+ years in a data management role and/or 1+ years of experience in a data analyst role
- 1+ years in a data consumer role (ie. Sales, Marketing, Finance, Operations, etc)
- Working knowledge of data catalogs, such as Alation and Collibra
- Awareness of micro and macro trends in business intelligence, big data, and modern data visualization techniques
- Awareness of data privacy regulations like GDPR and CCPA
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal & external data and processes and identify opportunities for improvement
- Strong analytic skills related to working with both data and business needs
- Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment
- Capable of managing multiple priorities and meeting closely-spaced, ambitious timelines;
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Understanding of SQL and relational databases is preferred but no required
- Experience using statistical packages for analyzing datasets is preferred but not required
Education and/or Experience: Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university in a quantitative field with 2+ years of experience in a Data Analyst or Data Management role
All your information will be kept confidential according to Equal Employment Opportunities guidelines.