Geospatial Data Engineer
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
About the Role:
The Geospatial Data Engineering team at Planet focuses on processing data and building tools to analyze, visualize and optimize Planet’s satellite image collections and capacity. As a Geospatial Data Engineer you will help make that data usable and visible to several internal teams. You will help with scaling the internal data processing pipeline and tools for our growing constellation capabilities and customer base. In doing so you will engineer data products and solutions that will allow your team to optimize collection planning and customer order fulfillment. You are detail oriented, highly adaptable and act as a customer advocate for quality. You possess a data-driven mindset and are comfortable with statistical analysis.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Develop and enhance existing tools and automation framework
- Maintain a database based on hi-res satellite metadata
- Build and improve ETL scripts and other data engineering processes
- Analyze and visualize data to improve Planet’s satellite image collection, processing and delivering
- Troubleshoot issues down to the root cause and provide detailed bug reports
- Work closely with stakeholders, communicate with the team about any issues, risks
What You Bring:
- Proven experience working with data, APIs and Python (Pandas, numpy, Geopandas… )
- Experience working with spatial relational databases and SQL
- Experience with Cloud data engineering ecosystems like GCP, AWS or Azure (data warehouse, dashboards, Pub/Sub… )
- Advanced Automation skills - Comfortable with shell scripting and Git
- Experience in Linux
- Strong self-management skills.
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Demonstrated capability or a strong desire to work with geographically dispersed teams
- Experience using tools within our tech stack (Docker, CI/CD, no-SQL databases… )
- Experience in remote sensing
- Experience in developing and maintaining data visualization or web mapping applications (Mapbox, CARTO, Leaflet, OL… )
- Motivated to learn about satellite image collection, processing and delivery
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Be part of a vibrant international company of 45+ nationalities with office locations in different countries
- Sense of belonging in a diverse and inclusive culture
- Experience a fast-paced spacetech environment
- Countless opportunities to connect within and outside of work with regular team events
- Personal development with annual L&D budget
- Join our regular hack-weeks and meetup events to exchange knowledge
- Employee Resource Groups that provide safe and empowering spaces for connection and mentorship
- Give back to the community by using one day per quarter for charitable work as part of our 1% Pledge
- Health programs and flexible working hours to support work life balance
- Be part of our growth: we offer equity options for our employees
- Daily virtual mindful bodywork sessions to stay healthy
- We offer equipment and wellbeing support during these challenging times
- Enjoy a spacious central office located in U/S-bahn Zoologischer Garten
- Employees’ well-being is our top priority: on site massages, snacks, fruits, drinks and company lunches
- Additional contributions to Company Pension schemes
- Enjoy unique offers and discounts for companies/web shops
- Additional Company Holidays
Some Press About Us:
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.#LI-NB1