Senior Data Scientist, Ads Analytics
San Francisco, New York City, Remote
“The front page of the internet, Reddit brings over 430 million people together each month through their common interests, inviting them to share, vote, comment, and create across thousands of communities.
We are looking for a Data Scientist to work with our Ads product team. You will partner closely with cross functional team members such as Product Managers, Engineers, Designers, etc. in utilizing data to drive product decision and strategy. In addition to strong analytical skills, you will have an interest in data warehousing, data quality, and building/maintaining ETLs.
How You’ll Have Impact:
Advertising is Reddit’s primary business model and we have an ambitious goal to turn it into a massive business. Although several large digital ad platforms already exist, advertisers are being increasingly drawn to Reddit because of our passionate communities that drive action. This large number of self-governed communities have highly-engaged users who are in an unduplicated mindset of consuming relevant information. This has created the opportunity for Reddit to build a massive and highly differentiated ads business.
We have spent the past few years building the foundations of a modern ad serving system, building features to help brand and performance advertisers find their audiences on Reddit and get high ROI on their ad spend. We’re now ready to build differentiated products on top of those foundations, utilizing data to drive the product decisions for both short term and long term bets.
As a data scientist on the ads data team you’ll be a key player in ensuring we make the right product decisions based on data insights, play with the large data from one of the largest websites, and help define the culture and frameworks for future team members. Reddit sits in a unique place, where there are still a lot of low hanging fruit opportunities that will immediately impact millions of users and thousands of advertisers.
What You’ll Learn:
- You will partner closely with our Ads Product and Engineering team, which is the core driver of revenue for the company. You’ll play a key role in developing Ads product strategy and experiments. You’ll play with petabytes of data full of user and advertiser interactions to develop a deeper understanding of Reddit’s ads ecosystem.
- In addition, you will work side by side with a world-class org of Engineering, ML, Search, Data Science, Data Warehouse, and Analytics practitioners who work together to create a variety of capabilities for Reddit to be more successful in its decision-making and product creation. In this process, you will be exposed to a variety of new techniques in experimentation, statistical frameworks, machine learning, deep learning, and causal inference.
What You’ll Do:
- Analyze conversations and behaviors across Reddit's 10,000 interest-based communities, and convert them into insights and product recommendations.
- Understand Reddit advertising and help the company improve Ads Revenue while simultaneously improving ROAS (Return on Ads Spend) for advertisers.
- Conduct product/feature analyses, opportunity sizing, experimentation (A/B testing) and build dashboards/visualizations to assess product health.
- Organize data by designing table schemas, data pipelines, aggregations, alerts and general data infrastructure for the Ads Organization.
- Collaborate with various cross-functional stakeholders, including Product Managers, Engineers, Designers, UX Researchers, Data Engineers and Data Warehouse Engineers to lead projects related to organizing and analyzing data.
- Be an integral part of the Data Org, leveraging and contributing to the vibrant knowledge base, shared across a community of world-class data experts.
Who You Might Be:
- 2+ years of experience in data analytics or related quantitative role
- Demonstrated ability to influence and guide product strategy with data
- Demonstrated ability to take ambiguous problems and solve them in a structured, hypothesis-driven, data-supported way
- Desire to mentor other data scientists and share best practices to elevate the data science practice at Reddit
- Strong ability to communicate and discuss complex topics with technical & non-technical audiences
- Proficiency with relational database (e.g., SQL) and statistical analysis/programming languages (e.g., R / Python)
- Proficiency with dashboarding tools (e.g. Mode Analytics, Tableau, Looker)
- Experience in online advertising