Data Engineer, Retail Science
If you like disrupting the norm and are looking for a company revolutionizing an industry then you will LOVE what Carvana has done for the car buying experience. Buying a car the old fashioned way sucks and we are working hard to make it NOT suck. At Carvana, our customers can hop online to...
- Search and browse our inventory of over 20,000 vehicles that we own and certify.
- Narrow down search results using highly intelligent filtering tools/components.
- View vehicle details, Carfax reports, and 360 rotating studio images for every vehicle.
- Secure financing in minutes using Carvana’s in-house service or their own bank.
- Interact with GUI components to easily customize loan length, down payment, and monthly payment.
- Generate, upload, and eSign all documents online (no ink necessary).
- Schedule front door delivery or pick up at one of our vending machines.
- Trade-in their existing vehicle or just sell it to Carvana (no purchase necessary).
About the team and position
In today’s world, data is king and this is the team with all the data. If you’re excited about understanding complex data sets from disparate sources, this is the team for you. Our data science and analytics team automates everything Carvana does from modeling consumer behavior to understanding how to make our users’ lives better.
The Purchasing Decision Support Science team is responsible for many aspects of customer demand, including vehicle valuation, pricing, assortment optimization, wholesale bidding optimization and automation, and demand generation through third party listings. Our team builds and deploys production predictive models, data pipelines, automation tools, and optimization solutions that impact many aspects of Carvana’s business, and data is the backbone of everything we do.
What you’ll be doing
- Build pipelines to manage the ingestion, augmentation, and curation of large data sets using cloud-based tools like Google BigQuery, Cloud DataStore, and Dataflow
- Build automated feature engineering pipelines to make signals from first and third party data available for modeling and optimization
- Support data scientists and analysts in accessing, analyzing, and building predictive models from data
- Build and deploy scalable, high-availability APIs to expose key data elements to other teams in the organization
- Build data pipelines to join / integrate OLTP data (MS SQL) with big data sources (BigQuery)
- Build monitoring and alerting capabilities using tools like Splunk and StackDriver
- Support analysts in building reporting on data using tools like Tableau and Google Data Studio
- Work with IT and InfoSec teams to develop team best practices for management of cloud infrastructure, user administration and resource access control, and data security
- Utilize dev, test, and production environments, adhering to change management requirements for system implementations
- Participate in team lunch and learns, design sessions, and code reviews
- Take part in cross-functional project teams with data scientists, product buyers, and customer advocates, among others
- Work with end-users and other IT teams to resolve operational issues and mitigate risks as applicable
- Other duties as assigned
Skills and Background
- An undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Engineering, etc. or equivalent experience in the field
- Proficiency with Python programming with a track record of working with third party APIs and cloud-based solutions (AWS, GCP, Azure)
- Understanding of Software Development Lifecycle and experience with CI/CD pipelines
- At least 2 years of experience writing SQL queries in OLTP databases (e.g. SQL Server)
- Strong data visualization skills
- Curiosity and drive to understand data deeply, communicate its strengths and weaknesses regarding completeness, accuracy, etc.
- Experience working with data scientists to build and deploy predictive models and machine learning solutions strongly preferred
- Experience working with various relational database models as well as the concepts of normalization and referential integrity
- Proven ability to know what a query plan is and how to view one, the purpose of primary, foreign, and unique keys, and understand the difference between DML and DDL
- Understanding of basic indexing concepts, like the difference between clustered/non-clustered
- The ability to work cross-functionally with engineering, data science, and business teams and communicate clearly and concisely
- Flexibility to operate with multiple competing and changing priorities
What we’ll offer in return
- Full-Time Salary Position with a competitive salary
- Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits
- 401K with company match
- A multitude of perks including student loan payments, discounts on vehicles, benefits for your pets, and much more
- A great wellness program to keep you healthy and happy both physically and mentally
- Access to opportunities to expand your skill set and share your knowledge with others across the organization
- A company culture of promotions from within, with a start-up atmosphere allowing for varied and rapid career development
- A seat in one of the fastest-growing companies in the country
To be able to do your job at Carvana, there are some basic requirements we want to share with you.
- Must be able to read, write, speak and understand English.
Of course, we’ll make any reasonable accommodations for those with disabilities to perform the essential functions of their jobs.
Hiring is contingent on passing a complete background check. This role is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
Carvana is an equal employment opportunity employer. All applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. Carvana also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories.
Please note this job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.