Senior Data Engineer
If you like disrupting the norm and are looking to join a company revolutionizing an industry then you will LOVE what Carvana has done for the car buying experience. Buying a car the old fashioned way sucks and we are working hard to make it NOT suck. At Carvana, our customers can hop online to…
- Search and browse our inventory of over 20,000 vehicles that we own and certify
- Narrow down search results using highly intelligent filtering tools/components
- View vehicle details, Carfax reports and 360 rotating studio images for every vehicle
- Secure financing in minutes using Carvana’s in house service or their own bank
- Interact with GUI components to easily customize loan length, down payment and monthly payment
- Generate, upload and eSign all documents online (no ink necessary)
- Schedule front door delivery or pick up at one of our vending machines
- Trade in their existing vehicle or just sell it to Carvana (no purchase necessary)
The Conversational AI team is a talented and humble group of people with backgrounds in Product, Design, Data Science and Engineering, that are focused on Human-Computer interaction (HCI). Our core product is a communication platform that car buyers, sellers and Carvana Advocates rely on every day for a seamless car shopping experience. We focus immensely on the end-consumer and build our systems ground-up to deliver on that experience.
As a Data Engineer on the Conversational AI team, you will be responsible for managing the data for many different systems that empower our natural language processing machine learning models as well as our analytics. You will have the opportunity to work closely with our Product, Data Science, and Software Engineering teams to deliver impact on every aspect of the purchase process, from search to vehicle delivery. You will join a team in either our Atlanta office, our Berkeley office, Phoenix HQ or remote!
- Building production streaming pipelines/ETL jobs to reliably move data between systems and and populate data in event streams and DB tables suitable for downstream consumption
- Work with the Data Science team to build out services for training, monitoring, and enhancing machine learning models’ accuracy
- Full software development lifecycle from design and development to testing and operating in production
- Communicate effectively with engineers, product managers, data scientists, and data analysts
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE...
- 5+ years experience with Python and/or Scala
- 3+ years Spark experience
- Extensive background in SQL and relational databases like Postgres, MySQL, SQL Server
- Experience with stream processing systems for analytics such as Amazon Kinesis, Kafka, RabbitMQ, Google Pub/Sub
- Experience with data pipeline management tools such as Databricks Notebooks, Airflow, Kubeflow, Prefect, Pachyderm or some other pipeline management system
- Strong experience with cloud APIs (e.g., GCP, AWS, Azure)
- Expert knowledge of data integration concepts, business intelligence and data warehousing and implementing large systems
- Understand how to be efficient with resource usage (e.g., system hardware, data storage, query optimization, AWS infrastructure, etc.)
- Production quality coding standards and patterns
BONUS SKILLS (helpful but not required)...
- Kubernetes and Docker
- Scala/JVM Experience
- gRPC, Python, TensorFlow, Scikit-learn
- Elasticsearch, Cassandra, MongoDB, and BigQuery
- Expert knowledge of predictive analytics, statistical modeling, and advanced mathematics
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT IN RETURN...
- Full-Time Salary Position
- Health, Dental and Vision benefits (Employee health 100% covered by Carvana)
- Employee car discounts and perks
- 401K with company match
- Access to opportunities to expand your skill set and share your knowledge with others across the organization
Hiring is contingent on passing a complete background check. This role is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
Carvana is an equal employment opportunity employer. All applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. Carvana also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories.
Please note this job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.