Software Engineer, Machine Learning Infrastructure
Palo Alto, CA
At Lyft, our mission is to improve people’s lives with the world’s best transportation. To do this, we start with our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization.
We care deeply about delivering the best transportation experience; this means the best experience for the passenger and the best experience for the driver. We believe this quality of service can only be achieved with a deep understanding of our world, our cities, our streets… how they evolve, how they breathe. We embrace the powerful positive impact autonomous transportation will bring to our everyday lives and with our ambition, we will become a leader in the development and operation of such vehicles. Thanks to our network, with hundreds of millions of rides every year, we have the means to make autonomy a safe reality. As a member of Level5, you will have the opportunity to develop and deploy tomorrow’s hardware & software solutions and thereby revolutionize transportation.
As an infrastructure engineer, you will be responsible for building and operating the foundational pieces and frameworks of our ML platform. You will bring deep technical software expertise and the ability to work within a fast moving, startup environment in a larger company with the potential for broad business impact. This is a hands on position where you will be asked to do everything from building new system components to advocating to other engineers for best practices. You are an excellent software developer with a good track record of delivering, but also excel in communication, and customer focus. This is a chance to get in on the early stage of a new effort and help shape the technology, product and impact.
Every day we compile millions of lines of code, drive thousands of miles in simulation, process hundreds of Terabytes of data and scale up or down thousands of ML compute instances. All of these rely on the foundation that we build and operate for the whole autonomous vehicle program. If you are excited to help drive this mission, we should talk!Responsibilities:
- Design and implement reliable, scalable, and performant distributed systems and pipelines
- Design and operate ML platform processing single node/distributed node training
- Provide observability into the systems health and execution flow, build tools and dashboards for monitoring and scaling ML training
- Be a force multiplier by sharing ML infrastructure knowledge and advocating for best practices across the entire Autonomous organization
- 2+ year's overall development experience in Data/ML systems
- Proficiency in system design and software development, with deep experience in one or more relevant languages (Python, C++)
- Knowledge of data structures, algorithms, distributed systems
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse team of talented engineers
- Experience building REST or gRPC services
- Great medical, dental, and vision insurance options
- Mental health benefits
- In addition to 12 observed holidays, salaried team members have unlimited paid time off, hourly team members have 15 days paid time off
- 401(k) plan to help save for your future
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave. Biological, adoptive, and foster parents are all eligible
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Lyft Pink - Lyft team members get an exclusive opportunity to test new benefits of our Ridership Program
Lyft is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to an inclusive and diverse workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.