Decision Scientist & Optimization Engineer, Supply Chain
If you like disrupting the norm and are looking for a company revolutionizing an industry then you will LOVE what Carvana has done for the car buying experience. Buying a car the old fashioned way sucks and we are working hard to make it NOT suck. At Carvana, our customers can hop online to...
- Search and browse our inventory of over 20,000 vehicles that we own and certify.
- Narrow down search results using highly intelligent filtering tools/components.
- View vehicle details, Carfax reports, and 360 rotating studio images for every vehicle.
- Secure financing in minutes using Carvana’s in-house service or their own bank.
- Interact with GUI components to easily customize loan length, down payment, and monthly payment.
- Generate, upload, and eSign all documents online (no ink necessary).
- Schedule front door delivery or pick up at one of our Car vending machines.
- Trade-in their existing vehicle or just sell it to Carvana (no purchase necessary!).
About the team and position
We’re looking for experienced data scientists and operations researchers with a passion for tackling big problems to work within our Supply Chain Data and Decision Science team at Carvana. Our team is responsible for developing advanced analytics solutions to optimize and solve some of the hardest logistics and supply chain problems. Our team is responsible for algorithms and systems that automate and optimize the movement of 20K+ per month vehicles cross-country and last mile using our 9 car hauler and single car hauler fleet. We develop, test, and maintain near real-time algorithms and systems that continuously optimize vehicle and truck movements, delivery dates promised to customers, and availability of appointments on our website. You will be able to see how your work has an immediate, tangible impact on every day operations in a rapidly growing and Analytics focused company.
What you’ll be doing
- Utilize data and develop algorithms to drive decision-making across all areas of supply chain and fulfillment operations.
- Aggregate data from a variety of datasets, automate data collection and processing and identify new data sources.
- Identify and drive new analytics initiatives.
- Develop optimization and heuristics in Python to improve operational efficiency. These solutions are deployed in the business and you will be writing production code.
- Experimenting and researching different techniques to solve NP hard problems, developing formulations and implementing them
- Use Decision Science, including AI-ML techniques to predictive and prescriptive analytics.
- Partner with key stakeholders to understand business processes, develop formulations to address/optimize business opportunities and influence changes to influence changes to make process improvements and provide solutions
- Work with the software engineering team to create robust production solutions.
What you should have
- Bachelor’s of Science degree in Industrial Engineering, Operations Research, Transportation Engineering, Applied Math, Statistics, Physics or Engineering. Graduate degree heavily preferred.
- Experience in optimization/operations research projects, either academic or industrial.
- Ability to demonstrate strong analytical and problem solving skills with real-life datasets, and be able to frame a problem in mathematical form and create real solutions.
- Hands-on coding skills in Python or an object-oriented language
- Good understanding of different deterministic and stochastic optimization techniques
- Ability to prioritize and manage projects to completion without hands-on guidance.
- Strong communication skills
It would be great if you also had
- Experience using optimization packages like CPLEX or Gurobi.
- A good understanding of statistics.
- Fluency in SQL.
- Experience in implementing data science techniques in Airline/Train/Logistics scheduling or manufacturing environments.
What we’ll offer in return
- Full-Time Salary Position
- Medical, Dental and Vision benefits
- 401K with company match
- Access to opportunities to expand your skill set and share your knowledge with others across the organization
- Company culture of promotions from within, with a start-up atmosphere allowing for varied and rapid career development
Hiring is contingent on passing a complete background check and drug screening.
Carvana is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
This role is not eligible for visa sponsorship.