Lead of Oncology NLP
Passionate about precision medicine and advancing the healthcare industry?
Recent advancements in underlying technology have finally made it possible for AI to impact clinical care in a meaningful way. Tempus' proprietary platform connects an entire ecosystem of real-world evidence to deliver real-time, actionable insights to physicians, providing critical information about the right treatments for the right patients, at the right time.
This role is for an experienced leader in the field of NLP and Machine Learning, applied to clinical data, EHR, who is an expert in using modern machine learning for clinical data structuring and information extraction.
What You Will Do:
- Lead and further grow the Tempus NLP team, including hiring, managing and mentoring team members.
- Design and prototype novel analysis tools and algorithms for electronic phenotyping on both structured and unstructured EHR data.
- End-to-end large scale machine learning model integration.
- Collaborate with product, science, engineering, and business development teams to build the most advanced data solutions in precision medicine.
- Interrogate analytical results for robustness, validity, and out of sample stability.
- Document, summarize, and present your findings to a group of peers and stakeholders.
- Guide the team's direction and technical roadmap, while also being hands-on and a strong individual contributor yourself.
- Provide technical leadership & expertise across multiple projects.
- PhD degree in a quantitative discipline (e.g. NLP, computer science, computational biology, bioinformatics, machine learning, statistics, applied mathematics, physics, or similar).
- 5+ years of relevant industry experience.
- Proven ability to lead and manage small to medium sized team.
- Expert level knowledge with a variety of NLP methods for information extraction, topic modeling, parsing, and relationship extraction.
- Expert level knowledge of language models (LSTMs, n-grams, etc), ontologies and knowledge databases, and/or large database contextual search.
- Highest standard of scientific rigor, and an acute awareness to balance high academic quality versus fast-paced product requirements.
- Outstanding analytical and problem solving skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong individual track record and hands-on mentality.
- Strong technical proficiency in a range of tools such as Python, SciPy, AWS, SageMaker, TensorFlow, PyTorch, etc.
- Strong understanding of software best practices to serve as role model for their team and maintain a high level of quality and scalability on the technical as well as scientific side.
- Thrive in a fast-paced environment and willing to shift priorities seamlessly.
- Experience with communicating insights and presenting concepts to diverse audiences.
- Team player mindset and ability to work in an interdisciplinary team.
- Goal orientation, self motivation, and drive to make a positive impact in healthcare.
- Experience in a late-stage startup environment.
- Experience working with PHI or PII, familiarity with human/machine hybrid data structuring workflows.
- Strong peer-reviewed publication record.
- Successful history of building and leading a highly functional team from the ground up.
- Experience with sensitive patient data and working under HIPAA regulations.
- Ability to attract high potential junior as well as senior talent.