Software Engineering Manager, Machine Learning
Palo Alto, CA
At Lyft, our mission is to improve people’s lives with the world’s best transportation. To do this, we start with our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization.
Lyft’s engineering team is growing rapidly, and we are looking for engineering managers to help us scale. Our engineers are smart, flexible, and love solving difficult challenges. They look to their managers for organizational transparency, career development, mentorship, and honest feedback.
Level 5’s Scene Platform team builds the tools for extracting insight from our dataset of driving scenarios -- behavioral data about the complex interactions between human/AV drivers, agents such as other drivers, pedestrians, or cyclists, and the urban environment. The ability to collect this data at scale is a key strategic advantage for Lyft in the self-driving space; Scene Platform plays a central role in enabling the development and validation of an autonomous system. This requires the development of novel machine learning approaches as well as building the proper software infrastructure to scale.
We are looking for a leader in the Machine Learning space with a track record of having built and led teams to solve hard business problems using modern ML techniques.
- Lead a team of talented engineers who like to ship code and solve complex engineering problems
- Mentor and guide the professional and technical development of your team members. Help develop their careers, and assign them to projects tailored to their skill levels, personalities, work styles, and professional goals
- Build teams that are collaborative, inclusive, and respectful of each other
- Provide continuous feedback, address underperformance, and recognize the individual strengths and contributions of your team members
- Create plans for prioritizing technical and resourcing challenges in your organization
- Maintain a balance between long term exploration with building sustainable, high-impact projects that can ship in a shorter time horizon
- Instill a spirit of continuous improvement in the team’s code, architecture, and processes
- Work closely with the Lyft recruiting team to hire high potential candidates from diverse backgrounds
- Collaborate cross functionally to maintain a prioritized backlog and create short term and long term goals
- 2+ years of people management experience, building teams and managing engineers
- Experience shipping products based on unsupervised machine learning
- Strong technical background with the ability to contribute to planning and design discussions
- Ability to motivate and instill a strong sense of ownership in your team
- Experience guiding teams through planning, prioritization, and execution of work
- Great medical, dental, and vision insurance options
- Mental health benefits
- In addition to 12 observed holidays, salaried team members have unlimited paid time off, hourly team members have 15 days paid time off
- 401(k) plan to help save for your future
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave. Biological, adoptive, and foster parents are all eligible
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Lyft Pink - Lyft team members get an exclusive opportunity to test new benefits of our Ridership Program
Lyft is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to an inclusive and diverse workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.