Data Engineer Internship (Lausanne, Switzerland)
Lausanne, Vaud, Switzerland
Who We Are
Founded in 2017, Unit8 is a fast-growing Swiss AI and data analytics company dedicated to solving complex problems of traditional industries like automotive, chemical, finance, manufacturing, and pharma. We work with some of the biggest organisations in the world to solve the challenges that directly affect their business, be it operations, finance, manufacturing, or R&D.
Our team comprises world-class experts in Software Engineering and Data Science who previously worked for Silicon Valley companies like Google, Amazon, Palantir, or Apple.
Unit8’s mission is to drive the adoption of AI and Data Science in the non-digital industries and to help accelerate their digital transformation. Among its activities, Unit8 dedicates a part of its resources and time on projects that deeply matter to us - that includes collaboration on pro-bono and “engineering for good” cases.
Are You the team member we are looking for?
Unit8 is looking for Data Engineer Intern to join our team in Lausanne for 5-6 months long paid internship program. You will have the opportunity to use cutting-edge technologies in real-world, highly impactful challenges. As an intern, you are a true member of the team, working on current team priorities, being involved in every aspect of projects.
You will be exposed specifically to data-intensive domains of software and systems. You will learn to carefully analyse a given problem and apply the relevant tools and techniques to solve it. You will have an opportunity to grow your data engineering skills through our internship program.
- Pursuing your MSc in CS or related major.
- Familiar with cloud technologies (Azure, AWS, GCP).
- Software engineer who knows the fundamentals of computer science and you are comfortable with at least one widely adopted programming language (Python, Java, C#, C++).
- Knowledgeable about data modelling, data access, and data storage techniques.
- Motivated and eager to learn different aspects of data engineering like:
- designing complex data system taking context into account.
- storage (relational, non-relational, distributed file systems, messaging queues).
- handling high volume heterogeneous data with distributed systems and data pipelines (e.g. Spark, Airflow).
- containerisation (Docker, Kubernetes).
- A Swiss national or holding a valid EU/EFTA work permit.
- Available at least 4 days a week.
What You’ll Do
Your role can evolve and will depend from our clients’ challenges and internal projects. In general, you will:
- Design, build, maintain, and troubleshoot data pipelines and processing systems that are relied on for both production and analytics applications, using tools like Spark or Airflow.
- Help drive optimisation, testing and tooling to improve data quality.
- Collaborate with other software engineers, ML experts and stakeholders, taking learning and leadership opportunities that will arise every single day.
- Work in multi-functional agile teams to continuously experiment, iterate and deliver on new product objectives.
What We Offer
- Work on client projects that have a concrete impact on their business.
- The opportunity to join a fast-growing service company with a start-up atmosphere.
- Be part of an international team based in Poland and Switzerland.
- Learning activities such as ML Reading Group, knowledge sharing sessions with engineers.
- Tailor-made internship program.
- 10% of the time for self-development.
- Cross offices/company wide frequent events like offsites.
- Flexible working hours, including some home office when possible.