Head of Data Science, Marketing
Who We Are
The Data Science & Machine Learning team at Wayfair builds algorithmic systems that drive our business, enhance customer experience, & improve customer loyalty. We develop machine learning models and reinforcement learning systems to power algorithmic decision-making across the entire customer journey.
We partner closely with our Marketing, Ad Tech, and Engineering to build scalable algorithmic systems responsible for optimizing millions of customer-level decisions each day: Who do we target? On what channels? How frequently? How much do we bid? What type of ad do we show? Which creative asset? etc.
We are looking for an executive level Data Science leader to lead a team of highly skilled data scientists and engineers. Your team builds and maintains a portfolio of ML products that power marketing, personalization, and content decisions for millions of customers interactions on channels that drive millions of site visits and $1B+ in Revenue. This is a high-visibility role for an experienced ML leader and requires you to interface with senior leaders across Marketing, Ad-Tech, Infrastructure, Product, and other peer Engineering teams.
What You'll Do
- Coach, mentor, and develop a high-performing team of data scientists and ML engineers
- Understand, frame, and translate complex business problems to analytical problems that are well suited to machine learning solutions
- Responsible for the roadmap, planning, and delivery for your portfolio of ML products - from conception to prototyping, testing, deploying, and measuring its business value
- Ensure we are developing scalable ML systems and provide sound technical leadership
- Be a hands-on leader and provide technical and business coaching and mentorship
- Collaborate with product leads across Wayfair Ad-Tech, Storefront, Infrastructure, and peer ML teams to ensure we’re building the right capabilities in the right place
- Drive the integration of our algorithmic solutions into existing production systems
- Serve as an organizational thought leader and sounding board bringing a data-driven and algorithmic perspective to the table
- Deliver presentations to high level business stakeholders and evangelize the vision for your portfolio of ML products throughout Wayfair from C-level stakeholders on down
What You'll Need
- 15+ years of experience managing technical teams with cross-functional stakeholders
- 8+ years of overall hands-on experience in data science or closely related quantitative field
- Advanced degree in quantitative field preferred (e.g. engineering, mathematics, economics, computer science, physics, neuroscience, operations research etc.)
- Experience building and deploying production ML models at scale
- Hands-on manager with ability to get into the weeds and provide deep technical coaching and mentorship to direct reports and skip-levels
- Prior experience building scalable data processing pipelines with big data tools such as Hadoop, Hive, SQL, Spark, etc.
- A high degree of comfort with ambiguity and breaking down complex problems
- A bias towards solving problems from a customer-centric lens and an intuitive sense for how the work aligns closely with business objectives
- Ability to effectively work with business leads: strong communication skills, ability to synthesize conclusions for non-experts and desire to influence business decisions
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.