Sr. Python Engineer, Logistics Decision Science
If you like disrupting the norm and are looking for a company revolutionizing an industry then you will LOVE what Carvana has done for the car buying experience. Buying a car the old fashioned way sucks and we are working hard to make it NOT suck. At Carvana, our customers can hop online to...
- Search and browse our inventory of over 20,000 vehicles that we own and certify.
- Narrow down search results using highly intelligent filtering tools/components.
- View vehicle details, Carfax reports, and 360 rotating studio images for every vehicle.
- Secure financing in minutes using Carvana’s in-house service or their own bank.
- Interact with GUI components to easily customize loan length, down payment, and monthly payment.
- Generate, upload, and eSign all documents online (no ink necessary).
- Schedule front door delivery or pick up at one of our Car vending machines.
- Trade-in their existing vehicle or just sell it to Carvana (no purchase necessary!).
About the team and position
We’re looking for experienced software and data engineers with a passion for tackling big problems to work within our Logistics Data and Decision Science team at Carvana. Our team is responsible for developing advanced analytics solutions to optimize and solve some of the hardest logistics and supply chain problems. The team develops algorithms and systems that automate and optimize the movement of 30K+ per month vehicles cross-country and delivering right at the customer’s doorsteps. Planning and scheduling the moves of these vehicles after acquisition to reconditioning facilities, and then delivering specific vehicles to specific customers is an exciting data science problem. We develop, test, and maintain near real-time algorithms and systems that continuously optimize vehicle and truck movements, delivery dates promised to customers, and availability of appointments on our website.
As an engineering leader in our team, you will help develop robust, scalable, maintainable backend, front end, and API components that are the foundation of these sophisticated algorithms. You will work with a top-caliber team of data scientists and engineers and will build software and systems that transform advanced mathematical algorithms and models to practical decision support tools in a scalable and robust fashion. You will be responsible for developing applications and systems that scale with the rapid growth of the company while having an immediate, tangible and direct impact on our customers.
What you’ll be doing
- Design and develop high-availability, robust and scalable applications using technologies like Docker and Kubernetes.
- Design, build and manage deployment pipelines and infrastructure for python-based applications and decision support capabilities for critical software applications across the Data Science team with focus on Supply Chain and Logistics.
- Support lifecycle software development for teams using automated testing and deployment with continuous integration tools and pipelines (e.g. Git, VSTS).
- Design and develop simple and intuitive User Interfaces as needed.
- Lead the analytics and data science team in code quality, maintainability and unit/integration testing methods.
- Develop comprehensive solutions for application logging, error reporting, alerting, and task scheduling.
- Conduct performance and throughput analysis, prototyping and implementation of solutions to improve system performance with enhanced concurrency, parallelization and other techniques.
- Architect, build and manage data pipelines, for model training, batch analytics, and real-time optimization and decision support applications.
- Other duties as assigned.
What you should have
- 5+ years of experience completing projects with complex, scalable, robust and high-availability software solutions
- Strong programming fundamentals with emphasis in Python
- Good knowledge of software architecture and design patterns with a knack for solving complex problems
- Expertise in developing scalable high-availability APIs, microservices, and creating automated systems
- Proficient at software containerization using Docker & Kubernetes and working with Cloud computing in AWS, Azure, or GCP
- Knowledgeable in the Python ecosystem including WSGI/ASGI servers (uWSGI, Gunicorn, Uvicorn), frameworks (Flask, FastApi), environment management (Conda, Poetry), quality assurance (PyTest, Pedantic), and other Python tooling
- Experience in SQL and relational database design data and crafting performant queries
- Ability to communicate ideas and execution plans clearly to both technical and non-technical teams.
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Information Technology or Data Science (Or relevant practical experience). Graduate degree preferred.
It would be great if you also had
- Familiarity with Site Reliability Engineering, monitoring, observability, logging, and related software management
- Experience building software solutions for data science applications such as distributed algorithms or data pipelines
The technical stack you’ll be able to work with includes
- Docker / Kubernetes
- Cloud service platform providers (AWS, GCP, Azure)
- Object-oriented Programming
- Data Science ecosystem (numpy, scikit-learn, matplotlib, Jupyter)
- SQL Server
- Apache Spark, DataBricks
- Optimization packages like Gurobi/CPLEX
What we’ll offer in return
- Full-Time Salary Position with a competitive salary.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits.
- 401K with company match.
- A multitude of perks including student loan payments, discounts on vehicles, benefits for your pets, and much more.
- A great wellness program to keep you healthy and happy both physically and mentally.
- Access to opportunities to expand your skillset and share your knowledge with others across the organization.
- A company culture of promotions from within, with a start-up atmosphere allowing for varied and rapid career development.
- A seat in one of the fastest-growing companies in the country.
To be able to do your job at Carvana, there are some basic requirements we want to share with you.
- Must be able to read, write, speak, and understand English.
Of course, we’ll make any reasonable accommodations for those with disabilities to perform the essential functions of their jobs.
Hiring is contingent on passing a complete background check. This role is eligible for visa sponsorship.
Carvana is an equal employment opportunity employer. All applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. Carvana also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories.
Please note this job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.