Data Engineer, Search
San Francisco, CA
Maps are no longer static. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data and services, such as the Internet of Things and AR/VR.
Whether you’re watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, looking at a gym on ClassPass, sending snaps on Snap, tracking your personal best on Strava, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today’s forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps. We’re changing how people move by mapping the world in real-time. We are the developer platform for location.
What We DoAs a search engineer, you will work on our search engine and API. The search engine and API enables customers to search for a place in the world, whether that’s by providing a longitude and latitude pair, or by typing the name of your favorite local restaurant. The problem space is an interesting mix of geospatial data, data analysis, search algorithms, performance, and infrastructure challenges. Search is a critical component to our customers’ applications, and a major partner to the Maps and Navigation organizations at Mapbox. Whether you’re trying to find a place among the vast amount of data on a global map, or to find the exact location of a venue a few miles down the road, search is in the critical path of so many of our customers’ experiences.
What You’ll Do
As a Senior Engineer, you'll be responsible for designing, developing and operating significant areas of our search services. In this role, you can expect to:
- Design and implement scalable services for our API and search engines, following best practices for deployment, resilience, and observability.
- Run and design experiments to evaluate the quality, reliability, and capacity requirements of our user-facing search products.
- Participate in end-to-end feature implementation within the larger search organization; review code and design documents, shepherd feature releases, and participate in an on-call rotation.
- Work with product owners, sales engineering, and management to drive future product direction.
Search interacts with many internal systems at Mapbox, making this a high-visibility team with great opportunities to collaborate across the company.
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- Experience engineering web services in at least one backend language, e.g., Node, Rust, C++, Go, or Java.
- Experience building highly-available API services within container-based environments (e.g., Docker, ECS, Kubernetes, etc. on AWS).
- Proficiency implementing monitoring instrumentation, operational diagnostics, resolving customer issues, and continuous product improvement.
- Knowledge of operating systems and distributed systems (e.g., fault-tolerance, consistency, service discovery, etc.)
- Experience or interest in solving challenging search problems.
- A desire to work with individuals with diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences.
- Enthusiasm for learning and knowledge sharing in a multidisciplinary environment, supported by mentorship experience and strong written and verbal communication skills.
- A rigorous approach to problem solving, using experiments and data analysis to drive quality of service improvements.
- Nice to have: experience working with Big Data, Data Pipelines, Caching and Technologies such as ElasticSearch and Redis
What We ValueIn addition to our core values:
- We value creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.