Backend Data Engineer
We believe that we are better together, and at Tripadvisor we welcome you for who you are. Our workplace is for everyone, as is our people powered platform. At Tripadvisor, we want you to bring your unique perspective and experiences, so we can collectively revolutionize travel and together find the good out there.
What we are looking for:
- A backend engineer with experience in Big Data that can help modernize the TripAdvisor Hospitality Solutions ETLs and data pipeline platform.
- Additionally, you will contribute to full-stack software development, by working with product and engineering teams to launch new features and services to production.
What You Will Bring:
- 2+ years of large scale, full life cycle development experience
- 2+ years of experience in Hadoop, preferably using Hive and Oozie, writing ETLs, and reading and writing complex SQL queries
- Solid foundation in data structures, algorithms, and OO design.
- Experience with backend web development in Java, and SQL. The team develops with Java, Tomcat, Linux, PostgreSQL, Hadoop, Hive, Presto, and Git
- Excellent English language written and verbal skills and the ability to make progress on work independently
- The desire to move quickly, and an understanding that done is often a better option than perfect
- Design and implement the technical solutions for projects
- Work closely with our product and engineering teams to define feature specifications
- Be responsible for the quality of code you ship
- Actively provide feedback on best practices and design patterns to your peers in the form of design reviews and code reviews
- Participate in sprint planning, estimation sessions, and retrospectives to provide valuable feedback on the way the team is operating and how it could improve over time