Director, Data Science
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Listening to Albertans. Going deeper to understand who they are and where they’re going. Translating the complex world of banking and investing into brilliantly simple solutions. Through all this, we believe we can create happiness. This is the ATB way.
Job Number: REQ1566
Location: Anywhere in Alberta
Apply by: Friday April 2nd, 2021
Paygrade: UR - Under Review
# Positions available: 1
Leader Name: Nav Dhunay
ATB Ventures: Putting the future in the hands of our customers
An extension of ATB Financial, ATB Ventures was started back in 2018, knowing that the convergence of data with powerful emerging technologies such as blockchain, artificial intelligence, and machine learning would pave the way for major disruption and value creation that exceeded the digital transformation of the past 20 years.
ATB Ventures is a team of engineers, data scientists, product managers, and business operators who having been building emerging solutions from scratch - including Open ATB> Open AI, Open Data, API Sandbox, Oliu (Self-Sovereign Digital ID platform), Proof (Digital credential wallet) and more.
After 2 years of many great accomplishments and interesting challenges, we’re seeking an experienced, driven, and diverse data science leader to join our team and help shape the future of ATB Ventures.
About the role | What we are looking for...
ATB Ventures is looking for a Director Data Science to join our Technology team and help build products of the future that leverage data and machine learning in our MVP products. In this role, you will leverage leading edge technologies and enable our talented team of data scientists to bring our ideas to life. You wear many hats with ease and continuously draw on both the breadth and depth of your expertise to experiment and develop meaningful solutions for the customers of tomorrow.
You are an analytical thinker and enjoy working with deep tech, microservice architectures, serverless code, cloud-native software, and other cutting edge technologies. You have a deep understanding of fundamental architectural and coding design patterns and principles and evangelize their benefits with the data science team, while rolling up your sleeves to lead by example.
Key competencies | What competencies we need in an ideal candidate…
Strategic and systems thinking: You are someone who can design and build scalable systems with the capacity to support growth. You’re an analytical thinker with depth and experience in high impact data science methods and applications. You know how to work on diverse, interdisciplinary teams. You stand by your data - lending insights and providing causes for action.
Customer-focused approach to solutions: You possess the ability to distill and abstract complex concepts into simple designs, easily understandable by customers and users.
Growth and performance-oriented: You are someone who is focused on adding value, achieving revenue growth, and other outcomes. You don’t shy away from taking charge to get things done.
Summary of responsibilities | What you will be responsible for day-to-day...
- Lead, motivate, mentor, and inspire a team of talented data scientists, data architects and data engineers - create learning and career paths for each of your direct reports.
- Implement best practices to drive efficient data/ML product development processes that integrate with other teams (e.g. software engineers).
- Lead team ideation sessions on data and AI based products and initiatives.
- Design, develop and deploy ML/AI algorithms & work with engineers to apply algorithms to products.
- Research and analyze data to find deep relations within data to be used in the ML/AI algorithms.
- Participate in code reviews, pair-programming, and other activities to promote mastery of data science practices.
- Support deployment of new data management processes and solutions.
- Work with the team to explore new ideas through experimentation, prototypes and fast feedback.
- Focus on open standards and open source before seeking a proprietary solution to a problem.
- Live, breathe, and work in the Cloud.
- Utilize Scrum and other Agile methodologies to complete tasks and accomplish workflows.
- As a teammate at ATB Financial, you will agree to uphold our values and Code of Conduct.
- Graduate degree in Engineering, Science or related field at an accredited college or university.
- 4+ years of experience in designing and developing data science solutions.
- Excellent understanding of machine learning techniques and algorithms, such as k-NN, Naive Bayes, SVM, Decision Forests, etc.
- Data mining experience including data auditing, aggregation, validation and reconciliation.
- Experience with common data science toolkits, such as R, Weka, NumPy, MatLab, etc.
- Self-starter, with the ability to establish OKRs, KPIs, milestones and keep projects on task and strong strategic thinking skills.
- Empathetic, relatable, responsible
- Work in an agile environment with various stakeholders to iterate on value propositions for product development
- Bonus points if you’ve built a startup, can demonstrate your unique contributions to open source projects and/or have experience with human interfaces.At ATB, we know that highly talented people can readily transfer their skills. If you believe your skills and experience are transferable, please consider putting your name in the running.
Online applications are preferred.
Purpose. Growth. Advancement. Fun. Rewards… learn about our perks and benefits.
A little about ATB:
We are Alberta’s largest, home grown financial institution and for the last 80+ years, we’ve transformed people’s understanding of what banking can–and should–make possible. Today, 5,500+ ATB team members embrace a growth mindset in order to help bring ATB’s story to life, delivering happiness to our customers and team members alike. It’s why we’re also a highly sought after, award-winning employer. The best part is, we’re just getting started. Join us, and create happiness.
What happens next?
If you make the shortlist for this role, you will hear from us within 10 business days of the posting close date. We will also keep your application on file for future roles that you may wish to consider.
If your application is shortlisted, we might ask you to participate in a digital interview.
Stay in touch!