Data Scientist, Wholesale Purchasing
If you like disrupting the norm and are looking for a company revolutionizing an industry then you will LOVE what Carvana has done for the car buying experience. Buying a car the old fashioned way sucks and we are working hard to make it NOT suck. At Carvana, our customers can hop online to...
- Search and browse our inventory of over 20,000 vehicles that we own and certify.
- Narrow down search results using highly intelligent filtering tools/components.
- View vehicle details, Carfax reports, and 360 rotating studio images for every vehicle.
- Secure financing in minutes using Carvana’s in-house service or their own bank.
- Interact with GUI components to easily customize loan length, down payment, and monthly payment.
- Generate, upload, and eSign all documents online (no ink necessary).
- Schedule front door delivery or pick up at one of our vending machines.
- Trade-in their existing vehicle or just sell it to Carvana (no purchase necessary).
About the team and position
In today’s world, data is king and this is the team with all the data. If you’re excited about understanding complex data sets from disparate sources, this is the team for you. Our data science and analytics team automates everything Carvana does from modeling consumer behavior to understanding how to make our users’ lives better.
In order for us to sell, we must first buy used cars. Purchasing one car at a time isn’t much fun so our Decision Support Systems Purchasing team handles the complicated task of automating the purchasing process of vehicles into our inventory from wholesale / auction sources. This position will involve deep focus on our wholesale purchasing business and the underlying predictive models, optimization frameworks, and automation capabilities. Our solutions integrate multiple predictive models and interoperate with pricing and assortment optimization frameworks to drive the best customer-facing inventory assortment.
What you’ll be doing
- Building and extending predictive models related to vehicle demand, reconditioning expenses, bid win probabilities, and total transaction value
- Building simulation capabilities to predict win volume vs. bidding policy in upcoming vehicle auctions
- Analyzing tradeoffs between inventory diversity and wholesale auction availability in optimizing assortment
- Improving bidding optimization policy to drive improvements in KPIs related to purchased inventory
- Analyzing regional / geographic variations in supply and demand
- Utilize data and rigorous analytical methods to drive decision-making across all areas of the business including purchasing, pricing, inventory control, demand modeling and forecasting, product mix optimization, and logistics
- Work with multiple valuation sources related to retail and wholesale vehicle pricing
- Use market data to analyze Carvana’s assortment and pricing vs. market competition
- Develop visualization, reporting, and explainability tools to monitor purchasing KPIs and help the purchasing team understand the key drivers of bid optimization
- Support the Purchasing Team in reaching buy goals, improving win rates on highly-desirable vehicles, and delivering the best assortment of vehicles to our customers
- Work with other teams to share key metrics, predictive models, and best practices for purchasing in service of holistic assortment optimization
- Other duties as assigned
What you should know
- Ph.D. or Masters degree in Engineering, Applied Math, Operations Research, Computer Science, Statistics
- 2+ years of experience doing quantitative analysis, with proven experience managing major research or analytics projects
- Excellent hands-on data analysis and visualization skills
- Thorough understanding of regression analysis, residual variance analysis, machine learning tools and techniques
- Deep understanding and experience in one or more of the following topics: Optimal Control, Dynamical Systems Theory, Nonlinear optimization, Reinforcement Learning, Neural Networks, Monte Carlo Methods, Discrete Event Simulation, Bayesian Inference
- Experience in applying one or more of the above techniques to practical business problems in supply chain, pricing, revenue management, and/or inventory control settings
- Experience in developing production-quality code in Python (or a similar programming language), familiarity with Python Data Science ecosystem (SciKitLearn, SciPy, NumPy, pandas).
- Strong fluency in SQL and OLTP databases (MS SQL Server a strong plus)
- Strong understanding of statistics and data mining methods
- Experience with large data sets (e.g., Spark, Hadoop, BigQuery) is a plus
- Experience with containerized code (Docker, Kubernetes) and serverless deployment frameworks (AWS Lambda, GCP Cloud Run, etc.) a plus
- Ability to manage competing priorities independently and push projects to completion with minimal guidance
- Ability to communicate ideas and complex technical concepts effectively to technical and non-technical audiences
What we’ll offer in return
- Full-Time Salary Position with a competitive salary
- Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits
- 401K with company match
- A multitude of perks including student loan payments, discounts on vehicles, benefits for your pets, and much more
- A great wellness program to keep you healthy and happy both physically and mentally
- Access to opportunities to expand your skillset and share your knowledge with others across the organization
- A company culture of promotions from within, with a start-up atmosphere allowing for varied and rapid career development
- A seat in one of the fastest-growing companies in the country
To be able to do your job at Carvana, there are some basic requirements we want to share with you.
- Must be able to read, write, speak, and understand English.
Of course, we’ll make any reasonable accommodations for those with disabilities to perform the essential functions of their jobs.
Hiring is contingent on passing a complete background check. This role is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
Carvana is an equal employment opportunity employer. All applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. Carvana also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories.
Please note this job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.