Data Scientist — Marketing
Data Scientist - Marketing
We’re looking for a Data Scientist to join our growing Marketing Team in London. This role is a unique opportunity to have an impact on TransferWise’s mission, grow as a Data Scientist and help save people money.
TransferWise has already pioneered new ways for people to transfer money across borders and currencies. Our customers can also manage their hard-earned money with the world’s first platform to offer true multi-currency banking. Your mission is to help make people aware of Wise as a solution for cross-border money needs.
Here’s how you’ll be contributing to Marketing
- You will help the Marketing tribe find the biggest opportunities for growth
- You will do this by modelling customer behaviour and usage so we understand which audiences to target and how (LTV modelling)
- You will also help us understand the effect of our past marketing (Econometrics)
- Your average day will include building new models, maintaining models used by everyone in the marketing tribe, evaluating new ideas and communicating what models can tell us about how we do marketing
This role will give you the opportunity to:
- Have a direct impact - You will closely partner with every marketing team (both Organic and Paid Acquisition) and help millions of people and businesses to learn about how Wise can help them
- Work autonomously - we believe people are most empowered when they can act autonomously. So rather than telling you what to do, you’ll work with your team to create a vision of your own. Of course, you can always gather feedback from smart, curious people across TransferWise but you’ll have the freedom to make your own calls.
- Be part of a diverse team - You will work in a team of Data scientists, Analysts and Marketeers
- Be part of our mission to make money without borders the new normal
- You are able to take ownership of a project and see it through from end to end, with past experience in doing so
- You are data-driven with a structural and pedantic approach. You need to be able to prioritise the value you can add, and manage your time effectively.
- You see a bigger picture of business processes and can cut through vagueness to define precisely where and how a model would fit into our stack and what value it would add.
- You have a good understanding of statistics, in particular Bayesian reasoning, and can estimate how accurate your results are, but also know when to stop analysing and deliver results
- You have a solid understanding of econometrics and time series analysis
- You have a Mathematics/Exact sciences/Engineering/finance background — for example, you’re comfortable with deriving variance estimates and reasoning about conditional distributions
- You are familiar with a range of model types, and know when and why to use gradient boosting, neural networks, good old linear regression, or a blend of these
- Experience with PyTorch and with any probabilistic programming language is a plus
- You are experienced in building machine learning models both on daily time series and on big data (100Ms of rows), using the right tools depending on the data volumes (our team uses Python, SQL, Clickhouse and sometimes Kafka and Spark for shoveling data, but we’re open to others ).
- You have a solid knowledge of Python, and are able to make and justify design decisions in your Python code; you can throw together a REST service or a UI if need be. You’ve used external data pulled via APIs before
- You understand fundamental technologies such as Kafka and Docker, and don’t think twice about bringing up a new engine in docker-compose to have a play
- You are comfortable with visualising and communicating data to various audiences, you easily articulate and present your ideas.
- You are familiar with lifetime value (LTV) modelling and econometrics/marketing mix modelling
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, qualifications aren’t that important to us. If you’ve got great experience, and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.
Office: London, UK
Salary range: GBP 55K-70K yearly gross based on experience and interview outcomes*
- Flexible working - whether it’s working from home, school plays or life admin we get that flexibility is essential and you’re trusted to do the right thing and be responsible
- Stock options in a profitable company
- Relocation support
- Generous parental leave
- Pension scheme
- Paid sabbatical
- Loads of development opportunities
- Sports and wellbeing compensation
- A fun work environment with social activities and events
- The opportunity to work with super smart, curious people