Senior Technical Program Manager, AI (Machine Learning Accelerators)
San Francisco, CA
Posted 1 month ago
We're Cruise, a self-driving service designed for the cities we love.
We’re building the world’s most advanced, self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
Cruisers have the opportunity to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the forefront of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's an opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, join us.
About the Role
The Autonomous Vehicle (AV) software stack heavily relies on machine learning and deep learning techniques to perform many distinct tasks, each with different requirements of hardware/compute resources.
We are looking for a Senior Technical Program Manager to support the Machine Learning Accelerators team within the AI department. The MLA team is dedicated to accelerating the deployment of the compute-intensive Autonomous Vehicle stack onto highly resource-constrained AV hardware platforms. We partner closely with ML engineers across the full life-cycle of each machine learning model to prepare models for robust and efficient operation and successful deployment to our fleet of vehicles.
As a TPM, you will be leading technical strategy and execution of key objectives across these teams, delivering initiatives in support of the research, design, development, and optimization of new combinations of ML algorithms and AV software.
If you're interested in solving some of the most exciting machine learning problems in the industry, let’s chat!What you’ll be doing:
- Drive the formulation and review of department roadmaps and objectives on a quarterly and monthly cadence
- Partner with Technical Product Managers to turn requirements into implementation roadmaps by planning timelines and identifying cross-team dependencies
- Work with Technical Leads on design decisions, and lead design reviews to ensure we continue to raise our technical standards
- Work with Engineering Managers to ensure teams take on a balanced assignment of critical initiatives and proactive engineering excellence investments, and ensure teams don't become overburdened
Execution and Delivery
- Be the point of contact for high visibility multi functional workstreams by owning communication of team, initiative, and objective statuses to all partners, including senior management and executives
- Coordinate alignment across partner teams
- Manage project risks through early identification and proactive mitigation. Shield teams from outside distraction and interference.
- Define sprint processes to maximize the team efficiency and effectiveness, ensuring the appropriate use of scrum process in JIRA
- Define and maintain a work breakdown structure and balance agile project management methodologies with overarching company program schedules
- Coordinate with product and engineering management to measure progress towards our goals to ensure completion on schedule
- Serve as an embodiment of Cruise behaviors: Stay Safe, Own It, Stay Focused, Seek Truth, Work Together, Be Humble
- Support the growth of the team, act as a mentor, and support onboarding processes and career development
- Invest in recruiting and building the Cruise engineering brand, conduct technical interviews, and help raise our hiring bar
- Build strong cross team collaborations with the AV Robotics, Perception, Prediction, Data Science, Ground Truth Engineering, and Machine Learning Platform teams.
- Bachelors, Masters, or PhD in Computer Science, Engineering, or similar technical field
- 6+ years of technical industry experience, including as a technical leader or manager
- Experience deep learning frameworks and DL software stacks such as Tensorflow, PyTorch, TensorRT, etc
- Experience with high performance computing (e.g. profiling and optimizing software), moderns parallel programming, real time computing, or model optimization techniques
- Experience with ML accelerators and hardware architecture, e.g., GPUs, TPUs, NNAs, MLAs
- Experience managing fast-paced initiatives spanning multiple teams and organizations with conflicting priorities and schedules
- Commitment to lead your teams, encourage the best methodologies, and constantly improve
- Proficient with Agile methodologies and JIRA based program management tools and best practices
- Passionate about self-driving car technology and its impact on the world
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- One Medical membership
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided for non-remote employees
- Paid parental leave
- Fertility Benefits
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, subsidized by Cruise
- Flexible Spending Account
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Pre-tax Commuter Benefit Plan for non-remote employees
- We’re Remote Friendly
- We believe that your value to the team can be provided at a Cruise office or from the comfort of your home. Depending on your function, enjoy the flexibility of remote work and join our growing community of remote employees in the continental United States.
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, Microsoft, SoftBank, & T. Rowe Price, have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the edge of technology, but also define it.
- We’re Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do the best work of their lives.
We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. Cruise will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with applicable laws.
Cruise is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process please let our recruiting team know or email HR@getcruise.com.
We proactively work to design hiring processes that promote equity and inclusion while mitigating bias. To help us track the effectiveness and inclusivity of our recruiting efforts, please consider answering the following demographic questions. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary. Your answers to these questions will not be shared with the hiring decision makers and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. Instead, Cruise will use this information not only to comply with any government reporting obligations but also to track our progress toward meeting our diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging objectives.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.