Remote - North Carolina, United States
Posted 1 month ago
ThreatConnect, Inc. provides cybersecurity software that reduces complexity for everyone, makes decision making easy by turning intelligence into action, and integrates processes and technologies to continually strengthen defenses and drive down risk. Designed by analysts but built for the entire team (security leadership, risk, security operations, threat intelligence, and incident response), ThreatConnect’s decision and operational support platform is the only solution available today with cyber risk quantification, intelligence, automation, analytics, and workflows in one. To learn more, please visit www.threatconnect.com .
We offer a competitive benefits package with comprehensive insurance coverage, paid time off, and unique perks designed to help you meet your financial and personal goals.
We are committed to offering an employment experience and benefits package that enables you and your family to grow with us and to share in our success. We love to recognize our employees who have gone above and beyond, and offer incentives like quarterly awards, an employee bonus and referral program, and team-building outings.
The Engineering team is looking for a Data Scientist to join the Analytics team to take CAL™ (Collective Analytics Layer) to the next level. The Data Scientist will hit the ground running and have a tremendous opportunity to support our products with insights gained from analyzing our data set. The ideal candidate will have a passion for discovering solutions hidden in large data sets and working with stakeholders to improve business outcomes. In the constantly evolving cybersecurity space, you will be a key contributor to a team of talented engineers.
You are a big data geek. You’re not intimidated by large data sets and look forward to diving in to find new insights. We need someone who doesn’t just dream about analyzing data, but collecting it. If you’re the type of person who considers a failed hypothesis an opportunity to delve deeper in the data, you’re in the right spot.
You love solving problems. You relish the challenge of finding creative solutions. Have you ever had a project where the straightforward, obvious approach wasn’t going to cut it? We need people who log off for the day and get a sense of fulfillment from the idea that their solution was both elegant and innovative.
You welcome new challenges. You view every unfamiliar situation as an exciting new area of exploration. It’s not just that you’re good at solving problems, we’re looking for a passion and curiosity that defines your attitude towards solving them. We’re all tinkerers in spirit here, and our new teammate needs to see the unknown as an opportunity to level up.
You are detail oriented. Your brain never stops analyzing things, especially when it comes to data. You understand that the slightest variance in one part of the equation can propagate into a much bigger problem at scale -- so your meticulous nature is a point of pride and hallmark of your work.
You enjoy learning. You are a naturally curious person who loves to pick up and assimilate new knowledge. You have self-taught skills, both in your personal and professional life, and view the capacity to teach yourself as one of the most important tools in the box.
You understand what it means to be part of a team. Buzzwords aside -- we understand that sometimes a little extra effort on our part will make someone else’s life easier. Whether it’s someone else on the analytics team, other ThreatConnect employees, or our customers and industry peers you know what it means to have someone’s back and trust they’ll have yours.
Things You Might Do
- Propose innovative ways to look at problems by using data mining approaches on CAL™ (Collective Analytics Layer). This data includes but is not limited to large-scale machine-generated telemetry, user-selected data, and relational data (explicit and inferred)
- Statistical research to infer meaning about the CAL™ dataset
- Collaborate with threat intelligence analysts, users, and stakeholders to define requirements and specifications for accessing and making use of data
- Collaborate with threat intelligence research and product management teams to identify new sources of data to drive discovery, analysis, and recommendation capabilities
- Evaluate options for data management infrastructure and tools, design comparison tests, prototype as needed, advise on build/buy decisions
- Leverage dynamic feedback from customer users and integrated devices for implementing appropriate workflows within the ThreatConnect platform
- Interface regularly with Threat Researchers to identify new ways to capture and leverage meaningful context and relationships across disparate data sets
- Other tasks as needed
Day in the life
In this role you'll get ...
- Develop, test, and apply optimized algorithms and statistical models for discovering new threat intelligence data, minimizing false positives, and recommending courses of action for internal and external stakeholders
- Work directly with Product Management, Engineering, QA, and related Team Leads to ensure timely completion of products in conjunction with product roadmaps
3-6-12 month plan
On day one we'll expect you to...
- Get ready to learn and soak up information
- Understand business goals and product strategy plan
- Understanding cybersecurity principles and the ThreatConnect product
- Understanding CAL’s architecture and how CAL processes data
- Familiarize yourself with our current data science models and infrastructure
At 3 months we’ll expect you to…
- Develop custom data models and algorithms to apply to data sets
- Have a basic understanding of cybersecurity principles
- Have a basic understanding of the CAL data model
At 6 months we’ll expect you to..
- Develop in PySpark to call custom data models
- Have a general understanding of cybersecurity principles
- Have a general understanding of the CAL data model
At 12 months we’ll expect you to..
- Have a full understanding of the CAL data model
What separates the best from the rest
- Experience in areas of threat intelligence or network security
- Remote work experience
Why you should come work with us!
Stellar company and position with the opportunity to be a leading member of a data science team that works closely with an experienced and established CAL team.
More about our Team
- The team is all remote and split between Illinois, Maryland, Montana, and North Carolina
- The CAL team is made up of hard-working perfectionists. We take pride and ownership in our work and want to be the best at what we do
- Multiple backgrounds -- Computer Science and Psychology
- We don’t care about who is right, but we all want to find what is right!
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher or equivalent years of experience
- 2+ years of working experience in data science capacity within a fast-paced setting preferably working as a Data Scientist
- Proficiency in Python or similar scripting languages
- Proficiency with Structured Query Language (SQL)
- Must possess strong written and verbal communications skills
- Legally authorized to work in the US
- Masters or PhD is a plus
- Machine learning concepts and techniques: neural networks, clustering algorithms, binary decision trees, Regularization, Boosting, Random Forests, Bayesian models, Support Vector Machines (SVM)
- Experience with the TensorFlow framework and Keras library is a plus
- Experience with Apache PySpark is a plus
- Experience with Cloud development is a plus
- Experience with Natural Language Processing is a plus
- Unlimited Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Employee recognition program with quarterly awards
- Employee referral program
- Military leave options available
- Education reimbursement program for job-related college courses and professional training
- Quarterly events with your geographic team
- Annual company party
- MEDICAL PREMIUM FOR INDIVIDUALS AND FAMILIES ARE 100% COVERED
- Prescription drug coverage
- Dental coverage
- Vision coverage
- Company-paid short term and long term disability
- Company-paid insurance and AD&D coverage
- Pet Insurance
- 401K retirement savings plan with company matching program up to 6%
- Health Savings Account
- Flexible Spending Accounts (medical, dependent care, transit and parking)
- Cell phone stipend
- Paid Parental Leave
- Paid Bereavement Leave