Senior Data Engineer
New York, New York
Posted 1 month ago
About Daily Harvest
Daily Harvest makes nourishing food built on fruits and vegetables accessible. We do this by delivering thoughtfully sourced, chef-crafted food to customers' doorsteps, all ready to enjoy in minutes. We’re on a mission to take care of food, so food can take care of you.
Our team is collaborative, driven, and future-thinking. We're constantly learning, experimenting, and iterating, and celebrate failure just as much as success. We take risks, try new things, and we get things done. We love adaptogens and cruciferous vegetables but never say no to cake. Everything we do, we do in the service of our community.
Daily Harvest is looking for a Senior Data Engineer to join our Data team. The Data team uses data to create better customer experiences, smarter business decisions, and efficiencies company-wide. We do this by providing accurate, actionable analyses, building sophisticated data science products, and by maintaining a reliable data infrastructure.
We are looking for a Senior Data Engineer that is excited about building and maintaining reliable data infrastructure that is built to scale with a growing business. You will work with every part of the company and a wide variety of data sources. We’ve implemented an ELT data stack using tools like Fivetran, Segment, dbt, BigQuery, and Looker with orchestration in Airflow.
What you’ll do:
- Apply a consistent data modeling philosophy to our data warehouse that balances stakeholder requirements, interpretability, and performance
- Help create a roadmap for the next iteration of our data warehouse and its downstream dependencies
- Review engineering specifications to ensure measurement and analytics requirements are met
- Help translate business requirements into feature requests for engineering
- Help create a roadmap to develop infrastructure and tooling to support use of our data outside of Looker by data analysts and data scientists
- Build, maintain, and optimize the backend of our business intelligence tool (we use Looker)
- Develop tooling, testing, and processes to ensure our data infrastructure will be robust and observable
- Write custom ETL scripts or automate tasks using Python
Who you are:
- 5+ years of experience as a Data Engineer or in a similar role
- Strong Python and SQL skills (experience using dbt and BigQuery is a plus)
- Experience applying data modeling philosophies and aware of their tradeoffs
- Experience using git for version control and collaboration
- Experience working with CI / CD to test and deploy code
- Experience using Airflow to orchestrate data pipelines
- Experience using Docker
- Experience working with cloud services (we use GCP)
- You are open and willing to help others learn and look to learn from others, as well
- You make thoughtful recommendations that consider impact, urgency, and long term implications and know when to say no
- An ability to drive projects forward with strong communication and stakeholder management skills
- Ability to thrive in a fast-moving, evolving, and high growth environment
- Unlimited Daily Harvest in the office to keep you hustling, not hangry + cold brew (...always stocked)
- Flexible time-off policy + flexible working hours (Unlimited PTO Plan)
- Competitive medical, dental, and vision benefits, 401K + equity participation
- Ancillary benefits: Commuter, Gym membership + Citi Bike discounts
- Access to everything we make (including recipes in development)
- Annual company retreat
- Quarterly team outings, weekly onsite happy hours, + regular DH team gatherings to celebrate our co-workers
- Book club + running club
- Showers for post-morning or mid-workday workouts
- A dynamic, ambitious, and fun work environment + dog friendly!!
At Daily Harvest, our mission is to take care of food, so that food can take care of you. And it wouldn't be possible without our team. We celebrate the unique POV that each person brings to the table and believe in a collaborative and inclusive environment. As an equal opportunity employer, we prohibit any unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, military or veteran status, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetic information. These are our guiding principles and apply across all aspects of employment.