Data Science Model Quality Engineer
Mailchimp is a leading marketing platform for small business. We empower millions of customers around the world to build their brands and grow their companies with a suite of marketing automation, multichannel campaign, CRM, and analytics tools.
The Data Science team builds applications that make sense of the data created by Mailchimp’s millions of users. As the team scales, we have an increasing need for internal-partners to ensure our models are accurate, unbiased, and legally compliant. This role will focus on measuring and documenting model quality for all data science models in production, as well as identifying and helping to correct potential sources of bias in our data. The candidate will partner with data scientists to understand the models and use cases, with engineering to develop tests and observability strategies, and with legal to ensure that ethics and privacy are front and center in our products.
The ideal candidate is a self-directed programmer with a passion for ethical AI, accuracy, and data hygiene. You are comfortable with automating tasks with a language like Python, and value transparency and observability in production systems. This is the first role of it’s kind at Mailchimp and will offer a lot of opportunity to lead and execute your vision for implementing new systems and improving our products. We are looking for someone who thinks systematically and understands core software development principles.
What you'll do here:
- Create metrics and methods of observability for the accuracy of our models in production
- Illuminate implications of model bias and training data selection from an ethical and legal perspective
- Help manage experiments that track the quality of our models and advise when an alternative should be implemented
- Improve the quality of Mailchimp data systems
- Embrace and demonstrate our values: humility, creativity, and independence
We'd love to hear from you if:
- You have 3+ years experience working on data science projects or applications
- Development experience in a scientific programming language (Python, R, Matlab, Julia)
- Experience developing and deploying tools related to monitoring models
- Understanding of statistical analysis and machine learning techniques
- Experience in database systems (SQL or NoSQL)
- Ability to communicate methods and results of analyses
Bonus points if you have:
- An advanced degree in quantitative or technical field
- A passion for ethical AI and an understanding of developments in the field
- Experience with Cloud platforms (Google Cloud, AWS...), Docker, Kubernetes, Jenkins...
Mailchimp is a founder-owned and highly profitable company headquartered in the heart of Atlanta in the historic Ponce City Market, right on the Beltline. Our purpose is to empower the underdog, and our mission is to democratize cutting edge marketing technology for small business. We offer our employees an exceptional workplace, extremely competitive compensation, fully paid benefits (for employees and their families), and generous profit sharing. We hire humble, collaborative, and ambitious people, and give them endless opportunities to grow and succeed. If you'd like to be considered for this position, please apply below. We look forward to meeting you!
Curious how hiring has shifted at Mailchimp due to Covid-19? Click here to find out more!
Mailchimp is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.