Entry Level Associate Data Engineer - CIC Baton Rouge
Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US
At IBM, work is more than a job - it's a calling: To build. To design. To code. To consult. To think along with clients and sell. To make markets. To invent. To collaborate. Not just to do something better, but to attempt things you've never thought possible. Are you ready to lead in this new era of technology and solve some of the world's most challenging problems? If so, lets talk.
Your Role and Responsibilities
Overview:IBM is a global cognitive and cloud company changing the way the world works. We foster a culture of creative, innovative thinkers; people who are curious about how technology can transform businesses and impact the world. Our consultants are part of IBM Services where we engage with clients across every industry to deliver technology-driven solutions. We cultivate a diverse, inclusive, global team of people who want to pioneer, reimagine and disrupt the future. We’re driven to stay ahead in the marketplace and enhance our relevance to be essential to our clients, and this begins with our talent.
Here’s where you come in. We’re looking for passionate, original thinkers who want to drive progress, grow their network and further their careers. If you see yourself as someone who never stops learning and is dedicated to staying ahead and being essential for clients, who believes no problem is too big to solve, and who wants to unleash your potential, IBM Services is for you. As an Associate, you’ll be a part of client-facing teams as a consultant, developer, designer, data scientist, or technical specialist to help businesses change the way they work.
Our clients' technical and business needs are constantly evolving. We’re hiring inspired, talented individuals eager to apply their knowledge and perspective to challenging work that evolves industries and our world. We prioritize ongoing learning, development of technical skills, and continuous personal growth, all grounded in a culture of coaching and apprenticeship.
Job role description: Associate Data EngineerYou analyze and organize the data needed and work closely with data scientists to query data in order to uncover the stories hidden in data and find patterns in the numbers. As an Associate Data Engineer, you’ll help gather and collect data, store data, and perform batch processing and real-time processing.
You’ll work closely with other teams to determine what data management systems are appropriate and which data are needed for analysis. As an Associate Data Engineer, you’ll be able to wrestle with and help solve problems associated with database integration and messy, unstructured data sets.
Work you could do as an Associate Data Engineer:• Implement and validate predictive models as well as create and maintain statistical models with a focus on big data.• You’ll incorporate a variety of statistical and machine learning techniques • Communicate with internal and external clients to understand and define business needs, providing analytical solutions.• Use leading edge tools such as Linux, SQL, Python, Spark, Hadoop, Java, and Cloud Vendors such as AWS, Azure, etc.• Work in an Agile, collaborative environment, partnering with other scientists, engineers, consultants and database administrators of all backgrounds and disciplines to bring analytical rigor and statistical methods to the challenges of predicting behaviors.• Build teams or writing programs to cleanse and integrate data in an efficient and reusable manner, developing predictive or prescriptive models, and evaluating modeling results• Ask business and industry questions to identify appropriate modeling techniques• Communicate results to technical and non-technical audiences
- The IBM Client Innovation Center is an in-bound delivery model where we support our clients from our Baton Rouge center (aka: we work in a traditional IBM Agile office setting).
- Travel is expected and all candidates must be willing and able to travel to meet our client needs across the US. Travel is typically related to knowledge transfer and training at the client site (Monday thru Friday). You are expected to travel approximately 50% of the time.
- You must live in, or be willing to relocate to, LOUISIANA. The work location is 100 North St, Baton Rouge, LA 70802. This is not a work from home position.
- Our Motto: Right Time, Right Place, Change the World.
- Check us out on Youtube: http://ibm.biz/BatonRougeCIC
Health Insurance. Paid time off. Corporate Holidays. Sick leave. Family planning. Financial Guidance. Retirement Planning. Training and Learning. We continue to expand our benefits and programs, offering some of the best support, guidance and coverage for a diverse employee population.
Our goal is to be essential to the world, which starts with our people. At our core, we are committed to believing and investing in our workforce through:
- Skill development: helping our employees grow their foundational skills
- Finding the dream job at IBM: navigating our company with the potential for many careers by channeling an employee’s strengths and career aspirations
- Diversity of people: Diversity of thought driving collective innovation
IBMers drive a corporate culture of shared responsibility. We love grand challenges and everyday improvements for our company and for the world. We care about each other, our clients, and the communities we live, work, and play in!
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
• You’re great at solving problems by looking at thing differently, debugging, troubleshooting, and designing & implementing solutions to complex technical issues.• You thrive on teamwork and have excellent verbal and written communication skills. • Strong fundamentals in Mathematics and Computer Science (algorithms)• You have strong technical and analytical abilities, a knack for driving impact and growth, and some experience with programming/scripting in a language such as Java or Python. • You're proficient at least one of the statistical programming language such as R, Python, or Scala• You have an interest in, understanding of, or experience with Design Thinking and Agile Development Methodologies• You have a basic understanding of Cloud (AWS,Azure, etc)
Must be available to begin full time work between January-June 2021.
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- Bachelor's in Computer Science, Data Science, Math, Statistics or related areas preferred
- Tableau knowledge preferred
- PowerBI experience preferred
- Data warehousing and ETL experience a plus!
- Hadoop (Hbase, Hive, Mapreduce) preferred
- Knowledge of SQL preferred
- Cloud platform exposure (especially AWS) preferred
About Business Unit
IBM Services is a team of business, strategy and technology consultants that design, build, and run foundational systems and services that is the backbone of the world's economy. IBM Services partners with the world's leading companies in over 170 countries to build smarter businesses by reimagining and reinventing through technology, with its outcome-focused methodologies, industry-leading portfolio and world class research and operations expertise leading to results-driven innovation and enduring excellence.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you’re looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
IBM will not be providing visa sponsorship for this position now or in the future. Therefore, in order to be considered for this position, you must have the ability to work without a need for current or future visa sponsorship.
IBM intends this job to be performed entirely outside of Colorado.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, pregnancy, disability, age, veteran status, or other characteristics. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Job tags: AWS Big Data Consulting Data Warehousing ETL Hadoop Java Linux Machine Learning PowerBI Python R Research Scala Spark SQL Tableau Travel
Job region(s): North America