Data Scientist II
At Careem, we are driven by the purpose of simplifying the lives of people and building an awesome organization that inspires. Based in Dubai, we started our journey as a pioneer of the Middle East’s ride-hailing economy.
Today, Careem is the region’s everyday Super App operational in 13 countries and over 100 cities. The Super App provides a host of daily services that people need to move around, to order things and to transfer money in one unified smartphone app. Our goal is to simplify people’s daily lives so that they can spend their precious time and mindshare on things that really matter and on realizing their potential. Our mission is to build engineering as an institution that nurtures talent into world class engineers.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are looking for a statistical engineer to join our team of talented engineers that share a common interest in distributed backend systems, their scalability and continued development. You will be responsible for developing or applying mathematical or statistical theory and methods to collect, organize, interpret, and summarize numerical data to provide usable information. You will work alongside top talent for an accelerated learning path. This role will put you on the path to becoming a data scientist.
You will be responsible for automating the different workflows that our commercial and country teams use to drive growth and adoption, balance marketplaces and drive efficiencies in the way we operate. You will be building highly scalable distributed systems, and continuously improve our engineering practices.
Our tech stack is Java 8 and Spring Boot, Micro-Service Architecture, SQL and no-SQL DBs, iOS and Android applications, web front-end and AWS infrastructure. Key responsibilities include:
- Analyze and interpret statistical data to identify significant differences in relationships among sources of information.
- Develop an understanding of fields to which statistical methods are to be applied to determine whether methods and results are appropriate.
- Evaluate sources of information to determine any limitations in terms of reliability or usability.
- Evaluate the statistical methods and procedures used to obtain data to ensure validity, applicability, efficiency, and accuracy.
- Identify relationships and trends in data, as well as any factors that could affect the results of research.
- Plan data collection methods for specific projects and determine the types and sizes of sample groups to be used.
- Prepare data for processing by organizing information, checking for any inaccuracies, and adjusting and weighting the raw data.
- Report results of statistical analyses, including information in the form of graphs, charts, and tables.
The ideal candidate will have a passionate commitment to improving the lives of people, an insane focus on excellence and customer service, and a strong alignment with our core values: being bold, focused, agile and collaborative.
- Bachelor's Degree in Mathematics or Statistics or Computer Science with detailed knowledge of statistics and advanced probabilities.
- Fresh graduates or 1-2 years of experience in Object-oriented design, data-structures and algorithms.
- Ability to solve complex problems
- Passionate about learning new technologies especially programming languages like Python and SQL and working on a product of massive scale and impact
- Proficiency and demonstrated experience in at least 2 of the following: Python, R, SQL, Spark, Hive.
- Demonstrated experience with database technologies (e.g. Hadoop, BigQuery, Amazon EMR, Hive, Oracle, SAP, DB2, Teradata, MS SQL Server, MySQL) is a plus.
- Demonstrated experience with business intelligence and visualization tools (Tableau, MicroStrategy, ChartIO, Qlik) along with geospatial data processing skills is also a plus.
- Able to communicate effectively
- Attention to detail
Nice to have:
- Knowledge of AWS
- Knowledge of scripting languages
- Knowledge of Agile methodologies.