Senior Data Engineer
About the department
Cloudflare is looking to grow our Business Intelligence team responsible for enabling various product and business teams such as Marketing, Sales, Finance, Customer Support, Infrastructure and Product Development teams with data and analytics. Our team currently has Data Engineers, Data Analysts, and Data Scientists and we are looking to add a lead data engineer in Lisbon, Portugal to scale our data platform and models. This will be the first data engineering hire in our Lisbon office, and will be responsible for actively mentoring a cross-functional data team in that office. This is a player/coach position, and you will be responsible for significant independent engineering work.
What you'll do
- Work on the end-to-end data pipeline, from data collection/ingestion all the way to analytics and enabling modeling systems
- Partner and align with data engineers, data analysts, data scientists, business leaders, stakeholders, product managers and internal teams to enable data driven solutions to key business problems
- Understand data landscape i.e tooling, tech stack, source systems etc. and work closely with the data engineering team to improve the data collection and quality
- Build and maintain data systems following best practices in software engineering to support scale, reliability and experimentation
- Build rich data sets that drive innovation in data driven insights at scale within the company
- Strong communication skills to communicate between engineering, data science, and product management teams
- Use storytelling skills to communicate insights in a crisp and concise manner
- Active role in hiring, growing, and mentoring the nascent data team in Lisbon
Examples of desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- M.S or Ph.D in Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, or other quantitative fields
- Strong experience in scientific computing using Python, R, or Scala
- Experience with Spark, SQL, Tableau, Google Analytics, Hive and BigQuery (or any other Big data/Cloud equivalent) etc.
- Experience working with and processing structured, unstructured, and semi-structured data
- Experience building data systems at scale
- 5+ years of engineering experience with proven industry experience in big data engineering
- 2+ years experience with a fast-growing SaaS business based company is preferred
- Experience building big data systems required, experience building Machine Learning pipelines is a strong plus
- Strong communication and presentation skills catered to different audiences within the company
- Strong empathy and ability to guide junior and mid-level engineers and analysts
- Full stack software development experience a strong plus
- Experience in fast prototyping and establishing engineering best practices is preferred
- Experience with container based deployments such as Docker & Kubernetes
- Experience in building RESTful and microservices applications
- Experience in building data systems for large scale clickstream and request data a plus
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers--at no cost.
Athenian Project: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state and local governments have the highest level of protection and reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information and voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
184.108.40.206: We released 220.127.116.11 to help fix the foundation of the Internet by building a faster, more secure and privacy-centric public DNS resolver. This is available publicly for everyone to use - it is the first consumer-focused service Cloudflare has ever released. Here’s the deal - we don’t store client IP addresses never, ever. We will continue to abide by our privacy commitment and ensure that no user data is sold to advertisers or used to target consumers.
Sound like something you’d like to be a part of? We’d love to hear from you!
This position may require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws, including the U.S. Export Administration Regulations. Please note that any offer of employment may be conditioned on your authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export laws without sponsorship for an export license.
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and place great value in both diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94107.