Machine Learning Engineer
Niantic’s Augmented Reality R&D Team is seeking ambitious Software Engineers to push the frontiers of Computer Vision and Machine Learning. You will work in collaboration with a fun team focusing on experimental innovation at the intersection of machine learning, computer vision, and augmented reality. We balance the culture of academia with the product-led focus of the wider company to develop and Productionize cutting-edge research. We are passionate about discovery, so we’re looking for engineers who want to learn and deploy inventions that could help make better “adventures on foot, with others.” Niantic leads the advancement of AR and other immersive technologies, which are deployed in engaging apps for millions of users.
- Read and understand machine learning (ML) and computer vision (CV) papers, and implement and evaluate working versions of these algorithms from scratch.
- Work closely with research scientists to design, develop and maintain high quality software to enable cutting edge research in machine learning and 2D/3D computer vision.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with prototyping, design, product, and engineering, to ship research algorithms into novel AR capabilities.
- Design losses/metrics and build and maintain datasets to reflect real world use cases for ML/CV algorithms, and come up with solutions for algorithm failures “in the wild”.
- Communicate findings and recommendations to the wider research and engineering teams.
- Work in an agile, communicative, and self-directed manner as part of a collaborative, interdisciplinary, diverse, and geographically-dispersed team.
- MSc or PhD-level qualification in CV/ML, or equivalent experience.
- Proven experience, either in industry or a research group, in both practical and theoretical elements of deep learning (preferably in computer vision).
- Expertise/experience in one or more of the following specialisations in CV/ML:
- 3D computer vision, such as SLAM, Structure-from-Motion, Multi-view Stereo, etc.
- Active troubleshooting and visualization to fix and improve training.
- Generative image/video models.
- Multi-task, few-shot, and/or meta-learning.
- Neural networks in resource-constrained environments.
- Security, privacy and fairness in deep learning.
- Excellent practical software engineering ability in Python (C++ a plus).
- Intellectual curiosity and inquisitiveness to learn about and discuss new problems and ideas.
- Publication track record at conferences such as CVPR, NeurIPS, ECCV, ICCV, ISMAR, ICML, SIGGRAPH, etc.
- Demonstrated engagement with CV/ML/AR, e.g.
- Contribution to open-source CV and ML projects such as Tensorflow, Pytorch, Opencv, COLMAP, Ceres, etc.
- Kaggle tier of Expert or above, or gold in competitions.
- Shipped AR applications or demos.
- Hands-on experience building efficient data pipelines for large-scale (image/video) processing, and strong knowledge of relevant data structures and algorithms.
- Previous experience working with software engineering best practices, including automated testing, containerisation, VCS, continuous integration (CI), MLOps, cloud computing.
- Previous experience architecting and implementing flexible, extensible, and scalable software systems, especially for machine learning training and/or deployment.
Join the Niantic team!
Niantic is the world’s leading AR technology company, sparking creative and engaging journeys in the real world. Our products encourage outdoor exploration, exercise, and meaningful social interaction.
Originally formed at Google in 2011, we became an independent company in 2015 with a strong group of investors including Nintendo, The Pokémon Company, and Alsop Louie Partners. Our current titles include groundbreaking global-control game Ingress, record-breaking AR game Pokémon GO, and recently released third title, Harry Potter: Wizards Unite.
Niantic is an Equal Opportunity employer. We believe that encouraging a workplace where our people are supported and included is essential to crafting phenomenal products our community will love. Our mission emphasizes seeking and hiring diverse voices, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the technology industry, and we consider this to be one of the most important values we hold close.
We're a hard-working, fun, and exciting group who value intellectual curiosity and a passion for problem-solving! We have growing offices located in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Bellevue, Los Angeles, Tokyo, Hamburg, and Zurich.