AI Scientist, Deep Learning for Natural Language Processing
New York, United States
About the company
We believe in a world without misdiagnoses, where every patient receives the best opportunity to recover and lead a healthy life. And we are the team solving this problem every single day for millions of patients across the country.
Covera Health is transforming how quality health care is measured and delivered. We are starting in radiology where the wrong diagnosis can lead to a cascade effect of misguided care, enormous patient harm and, for some, a missed opportunity for recovery. An early and accurate diagnosis is the patient’s best chance to get better.
Our first product uses a proprietary framework that leverages advanced data science and artificial intelligence to help patients receive an accurate diagnosis. Today, we are working with some of the largest healthcare payers in the country to impact millions of patient lives. With a pipeline representing 25% of insured individuals in the US, the opportunity to transform radiology and, in turn, improve patient care across the globe is in front of us.
Headquartered in New York City, Covera Health closed a $23.5M Series B financing round with Insight Partners, a leading global venture capital and private equity firm investing in high-growth companies that are driving transformative change in their industries.
About the role
We are looking for a talented AI Scientist with a focus on Deep Learning and Natural Language Processing to join us in our commitment to improve the quality of care for patients in every community across the nation. You will work with a growing multidisciplinary team of talented AI scientists, data scientists, engineers, and researchers to leverage unique healthcare data (in the form of MRI images, clinical reports, claims data, and beyond) to create new and improved methods for assessing and predicting the quality of care delivered by healthcare providers. You will have the opportunity to work with extremely diverse and entirely unique radiology and healthcare datasets that extend to all phases of care delivery (referral, diagnosis, therapy, and outcome/follow-up) from the perspective of all key stakeholders (patients, providers, payers).
Your responsibilities will include helping to execute the company’s AI strategy in the area of language understanding, as well as to further create, extend, and validate the language processing algorithms in use at Covera Health. You will play a key role in producing and sharing the results we achieve with the broader scientific community. You will be expected to:
- Investigate, develop and evaluate new and existing robust techniques for machine learning based analytics, automated question answering using natural language processing across a variety of large and diverse medical datasets
- Prototype and validate analysis and solutions using or enhancing existing methodologies, frameworks, and architectures
- Design criteria and methods for evaluating the performance of text understanding on test and real clinical data
- Research and recommend tools, algorithms, and solutions in line with our quality of care improvement strategy
- Collaborate with our internal and external teams and clinical partners to implement our clinical research roadmap
- Contribute to the enhancement and extension of all our data analytics pipelines and environment
- Collaborate with data science team members and other colleagues on research activities
- Help to shape Covera Health’s language understanding and broader data analytics strategy by identifying new opportunities
- PhD or MS in computer science or related discipline
- At least 1+ years of work experience for PhDs and 3+ years of experience for Masters as a Research Scientist in Machine Learning and Natural Language Programming
- Strong deep learning background and familiarity with state-of-the-art NLP techniques (BERT, XLM, XLNet)
- Applied programming experience in Python, C, and/or C++
- Experience with libraries and tools like Tensor Flow, PyTorch, Theano, Keras, and CUDA
- Contribution to research communities and/or journals, including NIPS, ICML, ACL, CVPR, etc.
- Excellent ability to work well as an individual contributor as well as within a multidisciplinary team environment
- Strong communicator with excellent interpersonal skills and can-do attitude to work and thrive in a fast-paced team environment
You will be a full-time employee with competitive salary, stock options, and great benefits. These benefits include medical, dental, and vision insurance, HRA, 401k, pre-tax commuter benefits, flexible paid time off, and--when we go back to the office--a comfortable office space filled with a variety of quality snacks and beverages. Most importantly, you’ll get to know each of us and we love to work together to find solutions. We are a talented, fun, focused, and unique team of people who are truly passionate about changing healthcare for the better! Even while remote, you'll experience the Covera culture as we offer a host of virtual experiences including a book club, fitness club, guest speakers, dynamic slack channels, and more!