Data Scientist, Marketing & Sales
San Francisco, CA | Montreal, Quebec | Remote
Full Time USD 125K - 190K
DescriptThere are simple podcast & video editors and there are powerful ones. Only Descript is both & it features magical AI, so you can skip the hard part of editing. Get started for free.
Our vision is to build the next generation platform to enable easy and fast creation of audio and video content powered by cutting-edge AI. Building a revolutionary way to record, transcribe, edit, and mix spoken audio and video comes with a series of unique challenges and requires solving hard and complex problems.
As a founding member on the Data Science team and the first Data Scientist hire on marketing & sales, you will play a critical role shaping the data science function, and developing data-informed marketing and sales strategies.
What You’ll Do
- Work closely with the marketing and sales leadership to develop data-informed strategic projects that focus on user acquisition, engagement, and retention.
- Define critical KPIs and ensure a high standard for instrumentation and measurement (e.g. web tracking and marketing attributions).
- Analyze and interpret data to build institutional knowledge of marketing funnels and sales journeys with depth and thoroughness. Proactively identify trends, patterns, and opportunities to improve day-to-day operations and decision making.
- Apply advanced statistical techniques and causal inference methods to design and analyze web experimentations (A/B tests, quasi-experiments, etc.). Contribute to experimentation best practices and standards.
- Build dashboards to improve operational rigor and efficiency.
- Explore predictive models to generate leads, forecast business performance, etc.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in a relevant field (e.g. computer science, mathematics, statistics, etc.).
- 5+ years of experience in a data scientist or related role.
- Strong knowledge of statistical analysis and A/B tests.
- Strong SQL skills and proficient in at least one programming language such as Python or R.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills, with the ability to present technical information to non-technical stakeholders.
- Curiosity and strong willingness to learn new subject areas, savviness to navigate and thrive in a dynamic environment, and a growth mindset.
- Experience building and leading a data science team is a plus.
- Exposure to marketing & sales CRM tool stack is a plus.
The base salary range for this role is $125,000- $190,000/year. Final offer amounts will carefully consider multiple factors, including prior experience, expertise, location, and may vary from the amount above.
Descript is building a simple, intuitive, fully-powered editing tool for video and audio — an editing tool built for the age of AI. We are a team of 100 — with a proven CEO and the backing of some of the world's greatest investors (OpenAI, Andreessen Horowitz, Redpoint Ventures, Spark Capital).
Descript is the special company that's in possession of both product market fit and the raw materials (passionate user community, great product, large market) for growth, but is still early enough that each new employee has a measurable influence on the direction of the company.
Benefits include a generous healthcare package, catered lunches, and flexible vacation time. We currently have offices in San Francisco and Montreal, and are open to folks working remotely between PT and ET time zones. Whether you love WFH or can’t wait to get back to being in person, we're interested in offering an environment that works for you.
Descript is an equal opportunity workplace—we are dedicated to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. We believe in actively building a team rich in diverse backgrounds, experiences, and opinions to better allow our employees, products, and community to thrive.
Tags: A/B testing Causal inference Computer Science KPIs Mathematics OpenAI Python R Spark SQL Statistics
Perks/benefits: Flex hours Flex vacation Startup environment
More jobs like this
Seattle, WA, United States Seattle, WA, United States Full TimeSenior Senior-levelUSD 167K - 209K USD 167K+
Principal Data Scientist (Seattle or U.S. Remote)A/B testing Causal inference Computer Science Economics Engineering Machine Learning +8
401(k) matching Career development Equity Health care Unlimited paid time off
Remote; Columbia, Missouri; Kansas … Remote; Columbia, Missouri; Kansas City, Missouri, United … Full TimeSenior Senior-levelUSD 129K - 185K * USD 129K+ *
Senior Data ScientistComputer Science Industrial Machine Learning Research Statistics
401(k) matching Career development Competitive pay Conferences Fitness / gym +6
Explore more AI, ML, Data Science career opportunities
Find even more open roles in Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML), Natural Language Processing (NLP), Computer Vision (CV), Data Engineering, Data Analytics, Big Data, and Data Science in general - ordered by popularity of job title or skills, toolset and products used - below.
- Open Marketing Data Analyst jobs
- Open Power BI Developer jobs
- Open Staff Data Scientist jobs
- Open Director, Data Engineering jobs
- Open Data Manager jobs
- Open Product Data Analyst jobs
- Open Sr. Data Scientist jobs
- Open Big Data Engineer jobs
- Open (Senior) Digital Analytics Engineer jobs
- Open Junior Data Engineer jobs
- Open BI Analyst jobs
- Open MLOps Engineer jobs
- Open Sr Data Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Data Architect jobs
- Open Senior Data Analyst (Bangkok Based, relocation provided) jobs
- Open Data Analytics Engineer jobs
- Open Data Engineer (Remote) jobs
- Open Principal Data Scientist jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst jobs
- Open Cloud Data Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Manager, Data Science jobs
- Open Business Data Analyst jobs
- Open Data Analyst (Statistics/Python/BI) (Bangkok-based, relocation provided) jobs
- Open Manager, Data Science jobs
- Open Data Scientist Intern jobs
- Open ML models-related jobs
- Open Data Analytics-related jobs
- Open Data quality-related jobs
- Open Privacy-related jobs
- Open Business Intelligence-related jobs
- Open Finance-related jobs
- Open APIs-related jobs
- Open Data visualization-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open Data management-related jobs
- Open Snowflake-related jobs
- Open Deep Learning-related jobs
- Open Airflow-related jobs
- Open PhD-related jobs
- Open Docker-related jobs
- Open TensorFlow-related jobs
- Open Data warehouse-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open Scala-related jobs
- Open Hadoop-related jobs
- Open Streaming-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open Git-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs