Senior Data Analyst, Finance
We are looking for a Finance Data Analyst to join and help scale our growing Internal Finance Systems team. You’ll be at the intersection between finance and data — diving deep into financial analytics, supporting decision making around our treasury and regulatory reporting functions. You will be driving automation and process improvement across a range of finance processes by building data models and reports downstream of engineering interfaces and accounting systems.
You’ll help us with the following questions and challenges:
- how can we build a robust data framework between our internal banking platform, financial ledger and regulatory reporting systems that supports all our reporting and analysis needs?
- how do product rollouts and customer behaviours impact our liquidity and capital position as a bank?
- what data assets would allow us to monitor our financial risks and support our investment strategy as we look to grow our treasury assets?
- what automation tools can be built for the Finance team to minimise time spent and improve controls over recurring processes?
Data at Monzo
Our Data team's mission is to
Enable Monzo to Make Better Decisions, Faster
At the core of this mission sits our data platform. We're great believers in powerful, real-time analytics and empowerment of the wider business. Every engineer at Monzo is responsible for collection of relevant analytics events from their microservices. We optimise for simplicity and re-usability – all our data lives in one place and is made available via our data warehouse in Google BigQuery. 90% of day-to-day data-driven decisions are covered by self-serve analytics through Looker which gives data analysts and scientists the head space to focus on more impactful business questions and analyses.
You’ll be responsible for:
- working with treasury analysts, regulatory reporting analysts, backend engineers and data warehouse engineers to maintain and improve our treasury and regulatory reporting data assets,
- building data models, reports and visualisations to enable us to make informed treasury decisions,
- working with product teams to better understand and monitor capital and liquidity considerations,
- working with data from our accounting system to automate calculations over our capital and liquidity metrics,
- automating our regulatory reporting processes and improving our reconciliations and internal controls.
You will be responsible for digging deep into the data to understand the financial and capital implications of our products, proposing solutions to identified problems and finally measuring the outcomes of implemented solutions.
You’ll also work closely with engineers across the company to ensure that we are collecting all the necessary data that we will need for accurate and compliant reporting.
Finally, you will assist in introducing and monitoring company-wide KPI's (Key Performance Indicators) and KRI's (Key Risk Indicators) which will measure how the bank is performing and alert us if something goes off track.
You should apply if
- you have experience automating processes, building datasets and analysing data to support the treasury function and/or support regulatory reporting
- you have strong SQL skills and are familiar with data visualisation and general data warehousing concepts
- you are happiest exploring data, making discoveries and understanding their implications on the business
- you are comfortable exploring ambiguous problem statements, multi-tasking between various work streams and learning on the job
- have previously worked in an analytics/finance environment - for example in a fintech start-up, management consulting or investment banking
- you enjoy the challenge of helping scale a fast growing treasury and regulatory reporting team
Nice to haves
- you've acquired a certification or part-qualified in the relevant area such as CFA or ACA
- familiarity with a modern data analytics stack such as BigQuery, Looker, Tableau, etc.
- sound knowledge and/or experience of various financial products
This role will be remote until we'll be able to open our London office again.
We offer flexible working hours and trust you to work enough hours to do your job well, at times that suit you and your team.
The application process consists of a 30 mins phone call with a recruiter, an initial call with someone from the team, followed by a technical take home task and 2 on-site interviews at our office in London or remotely via hangouts. We promise not to ask you any brain teasers or trick questions.
We are an equal opportunity employer
At Monzo, embracing diversity in all of its forms and fostering an inclusive environment for all people to do the best work of their lives with us. This is integral to our mission of making money work for everyone.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, veteran, neurodiversity status or disability status.