Sr. Software Engineer, Machine Learning
Hawthorne, CA, United States
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SR. SOFTWARE ENGINEER, MACHINE LEARNING
The Sr. Software Engineer, Machine Learning will be a core technical contributor to the Materials/Additive Manufacturing teams with deep expertise in building and deploying scalable machine learning. The Sr. Machine Learning Engineer will work closely with infrastructure IT, materials, and additive teams to build and deploy powerful computer vision features.
- Build and improve the accuracy of ML/CV models, including retraining and optimizing open-source models to solve additive specific problems
- Integrate, process big data into features for ML/CV models (e.g., using image data to build models supporting advanced process qualification)
- Build the backend or edge infrastructure to scale our training and inference workload, including training pipelines, evaluation, and model deployment
- Bachelor's degree in a technical discipline and 4+ years experience as a data scientist, machine learning engineer, or software engineer or a PhD in a technical discipline
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Strong proficiency in common languages (e.g., Python, SQL) and tools (e.g., TensorFlow, PyTorch, distributed training/inference with Spark) in the ML toolkit
- Experience building and deploying large-scale machine learning models with feedback loops for continuous improvement
- Experience building performant, distributed training and inference pipelines on very large datasets
- Comfortable with full-stack / backend development code to build a strong understanding of underlying data structures and other dependencies
- A deep understanding of Tensorflow, including TensorFlow Extended
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are required, along with the ability to work in a dynamic, product oriented, global team
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.