Senior Data Scientist, i18n Modeling
“The front page of the internet, Reddit brings over 430 million people together each month through their common interests, inviting them to share, vote, comment, and create across thousands of communities. Come work with one of the richest datasets in the world and make an impact on the lives of Redditors everywhere.
We are looking for a Modeling Data Scientist to work with the i18n team to help bring Reddit overseas. You will work closely with engineers and product owners from our i18n team to identify geo-relevant communities at scale. In addition to strong modeling skills, this person has a solid business acumen and understands what is important to make strategic product decisions.
How You’ll Have Impact:
Today the majority of Reddit’s user base lives in the US. Reddit’s mission is to bring community and belonging to everyone in the world, which means we’ll be making a major push to expand our audience internationally. In this role, you will be a key player in analyzing and modeling on our communities and data to help drive growth internationally.
What You’ll Learn:
As the first modeling data scientist on the team, you will be the expert in helping us identify the best geo-relevant communities to serve our users overseas. You’ll be pivotal in using topic modeling and language modeling to help classify our international subreddits and help us serve our international users better.
You will work side by side with a world-class org of Engineering, ML, Search, Data Science, Data Warehouse, and Analytics practitioners who work together to create a variety of capabilities for Reddit to be more successful in its decision-making and product creation. In this process, you will be exposed to a variety of new techniques in experimentation, statistical frameworks, machine learning, and causal inference.
What You’ll Do:
- Partner cross functionally with Eng and Product leads to help define and execute international growth’s roadmap and initiatives
- Leverage NLP, topic modeling and language modeling to help understand and classify our international communities in order to identify opportunities that the Product team can leverage to accelerate growth
- Build predictive models to preemptively intervene in a customer’s lifecycle and ensure they have the best experience on the platform
- Build a platform for rapid model iteration and feature engineering at scale
- Be involved in all phases of modeling such as ideation, offline modeling, online implementation, experimentation, deploy and post-launch monitoring/measurements
- Serve as a thought-partner for Product Managers, Engineering Managers and leadership in influencing the i18n roadmap and strategy for Reddit by identifying opportunities through deep-dive analyses and modeling
- Collaborate and mentor other data scientists and share modeling frameworks or techniques to elevate the org
Who You Might Be:
- 3-5 years of experience in NLP, language modeling or topic modeling, preferably for growing at-scale consumer products outside the US
- Proficiency with relational database (e.g., SQL)
- Familiarity with statistical analysis and programming languages (e.g., R / Python)
- Results-oriented with a strong customer and business focus
- Entrepreneurial and self-directed, demonstrated ability to innovate and bias toward action in fast-paced environments
- Ability to communicate and discuss complex topics with technical and non-technical audiences
- Ability to tackle ambiguous and undefined problems