Data Scientist Intern
2020-2021 SU SF Data Scientist Intern
Our internship program will provide an opportunity to work on meaningful products that will grow the GDP of the internet. Through the internship, you will work with many systems and technologies, gain experience in helping us better understand our users and build better products with this data. Each intern has a dedicated mentor, and every project is part of the team's roadmap and will directly help Stripe's mission. In this role, you will work with the Risk operation and engineering teams to minimize losses and abuses while maintaining good user experience. Risk is a dynamic space where we face ever-evolving challenges, and we rely heavily on data to measure and forecast our success, ensure high-quality decisions, and point towards future opportunities. As a Stripe intern, you won't just be working on important projects to increase global commerce, you'll work alongside exceptional people who insist on doing their best work. You'll work and learn from people with high standards who are great at inspiring others to do more and go further. We value technical and personal growth, and see our internship program as a vehicle to foster both.
- Work closely with the partner teams to identify important questions and answer them with data and analyses.
- Build and evaluate machine learning models to measure and reduce losses and abuses.
- Design, analyze, and interpret the results of experiments.
- Drive the collection of new data and the refinement of existing data sources.
- Collaborate with other data analysts, data scientists (and people from other disciplines) to proactively seek and incorporate feedback
- Learn quickly by asking great questions, finding how to work with your mentor and teammates effectively, and communicate the status of your work clearly
We’re looking for someone who has:
- A strong fundamental understanding in a quantitative field through pursuit of a PhD degree (e.g., Statistics, Physics, Computational Biology, Mathematics, Economics, Neuroscience, or Computer Science) with the expectation of graduating in winter 2021 or spring/summer 2022
- Expert knowledge of a scientific computing language (such as R or Python) either through side projects, research, classwork or previous work experience. We work mostly in R or Python.
- Strong in-depth knowledge or focus, as well as general skills and knowledge in machine learning, statistics, and/or experimental design
- Ability to communicate clearly to explain your work to stakeholders, team members, and other Stripes, sharing results clearly and a focus on driving business impact
You also likely have:
- Prior experience with data-distributed tools (Spark, Scalding, Hadoop, etc.)
- Applied experience with SQL. We believe new programming languages can be learned if the fundamentals and general knowledge is present.
- Experience from previous internships or other multi-person projects, that demonstrate evaluating and receiving feedback from mentors, peers, and stakeholders
- Ability to learn unfamiliar systems and form an understanding of those systems, through independent research and working with a mentor and subject matter experts
Please include these in your application:
- A description of your work history (either a resume, LinkedIn Profile, website, or other portfolio of work)
- Example of your a relevant data analysis you’ve done, key findings and its impact