Engineering Manager, Machine Learning Services
Remote, United States
Over 10 million people use Slack every day to have a quick conversation with a coworker, share a file, monitor a customer issue, basically anything it takes to get work done. Over time, these conversations accumulate, creating a comprehensive, unique high-fidelity dataset of how work gets done at companies around the world. We are seeking an experienced Machine Learning leader to help turn this massive dataset into customer value.
As the manager for the Machine Learning Services team, you will be building out the technical vision and strategy for Machine Learning at Slack. You’ll be instrumental in developing and building out the team, guiding the modeling and engineering approaches, and communicating strategy and results to the broader organization. You’ll partner closely with leaders in Product to build features that make people’s working lives simpler, more pleasant and more productive. Our work spans many disciplines: search/information retrieval, recommendation systems, machine learning, data science/quality, and natural language processing/understanding.
What you should have
- 2+ years of engineering management experience building productive, high functioning teams. You can describe why these teams were high functioning and what you specifically did to ensure engineers felt productive.
- Strong verbal and nonverbal communication skills. You’re adept at understanding complex technical concepts and helping teams make decisions to move forward as well as communicating those decisions up.
- Experience leading a team of PhDs and ML Engineers; ideally in both consumer and business to business environments.
- Passion for establishing data driven culture and growing business impact.
- Ability to build roadmaps and developing a long-term team vision in partnership with other engineering teams at Slack. You can then be accountable for driving project execution.
- Passion for helping engineers develop new skills and advance in their careers. You don’t shy away from performance conversations and you recognize the relationship between objective feedback and career growth.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
Slack is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Slack is registered, you will not be eligible for employment. Visa sponsorship may not be available in certain remote locations.
Visa sponsorship is not available for candidates living outside the country of this position.